Jackson conundrum. Need opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson conundrum. Need opinions.

Hey all. Can anyone offer opinions and comparisons on the newer Indonesian Sl2 and Sl3? How is the build quality and feel compared to a Japanese Sl3 or US Sl1? I really want the sl2 but both US and MIJ are a bit pricy. I prefer the HH pups to HSS but for the same price would you get a new MII Sl2 or a used SL1.

Thanks
    J

02 dk2 eerie des
    97 dk2
    89 Charvel csm1g
    00 carvin DC
    12 Fernandes Ravelle Shin Demon
    99 Carvin lb70
    96 Ibanez ATK300

1. There's a new SL3?
    2. You get what you pay for. A new Indian model isn't going to be as good as a used USA model.
    3. Just because they aren't the same, doesn't mean that they aren't worth what you pay for them. If all you can afford is a $300 JS, then you can't complain that you didn't get a titanium OFR. Right?

Comment

Thanks pianoguyy. Newer sl3/sl2 as opposed to old MIJ. It's not about getting what you pay for. Just want some opinions from those who have played the U.S. Models, MII and older MIJ. I have some nice guitars but none of feel like "the one." Know what I mean? I love the feel of the MIJ sl3 but wonder how it compares to a U.S. Sl1/sl2. And how much different the MII sl2 professional is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcrider303 View Post
        Newer sl3/sl2 as opposed to old MIJ
        Just to clarify, there hasn't been an SL3 since around 2010 when the Japanese SL3 was discontinued. There was never an Indonesian SL3.

I'd recommend spending the $1000 or so on a new SL2 if you can swing the cash. Or, depending on your location, you may be able to find a used SL1 in the $1000-1500 range. The SL1 would give you a real Floyd, pearl logo/inlays top quality electronics and, hopefully, superior craftsmanship.

It's always best to play them and pick what feels best.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks mudlark. Late 90s sl3 is the closest one I can actually play with. The guitar superstores only have js series dinkys and once in a while an x series soloist. Have you played the newer Indonesian sl2? Are they as smooth as the MIJ ones?

Comment

SL3's began in the early 2000's.
            I've never played an SL2, but I've read a lot of good things about them. They have neck/headstock binding and a ebony board, something the SL3's didn't have.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Sl3 feature list is bland imo. Seen a used sl2h and an sl1 listed for 999 and 1049 this morning on gc so I'd say the sl2 pro is a bit too close to used usa pricing new. I think the price on the used ones will go down before long but they're still fairly new.
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

While the MII guitars are nice....it's just not fair to try and compare them to USA models. The newer MIJ models are good, but if you want the best bang for the buck I'd personally look for the early soloist pro if that's the body style you want. While the King V, Rhoads and Warrior models from that run are actually quite pricey these days, the soloist can still be found at a good price.
                Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

[QUOTE=Mudlark;1626270]SL3's began in the early 2000's.

I was taking a guess at the year on the sl3. Serial number is 97xxxxx.

Comment

I was taking a guess at the year on the sl3. Serial number is 97xxxxx.
                    That's not a neck thru serial!! The serial should be 6 digits and stamped on the fret board at the 24th fret. ex: 04xxxx=2004.
                    $1000 for an SL1 and SL2H at Guitar Center? Jcrider303, you should check that out, no?

Comment

Maybe the sl3 is a copy, no stamp just a sticker on the back of the headstock. Looks real enough, neck through, Duncan HSS, Floyd, Jackson tuners, sharkies. Guy wants too much for it anyway. Don't see the sl1 and sl2 on gc. A few sl3's and 2 sl1's for $2000.
                      I think I want the sl2ht as I could care less about a tremolo. The wilkinson on my carvin and the old jt6 on my Charvel both stay in tune better than the Floyd jt580lp on my dk2. Granted it's not an OFR, but still such a pain to restring.

Comment

we need pictures

Comment

Nothing hard about restringing a JT580. Put the ball-end through the machine head and do each string one at a time. Five minute job.

I have an SL3 and I love it but I also have some of the X series guitars which I also love. If you want a Soloist give the X series a go.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Maybe the sl3 is a copy, no stamp just a sticker on the back of the headstock. Looks real enough, neck through, Duncan HSS, Floyd, Jackson tuners, sharkies. Guy wants too much for it anyway. Don't see the sl1 and sl2 on gc. A few sl3's and 2 sl1's for $2000.
                            I think I want the sl2ht as I could care less about a tremolo. The wilkinson on my carvin and the old jt6 on my Charvel both stay in tune better than the Floyd jt580lp on my dk2. Granted it's not an OFR, but still such a pain to restring.
                            What are you typing in? O.o
                            go to used.guitarcenter.com
                            type jackson sl1, first guitar on the list, trans blue sl1 in SC for 1049. Type jackson sl2h, second guitar on the list, reddish color, no fret markers, in Conn for 999
                            I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Floyds aren't for me, either. I've got a 2008 SL2HT, and if you get one as sweet as mine you'll love it to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X