Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do?

Hi guys
    Well i have been given the green light to buy a new 6 striger and have been eyeing off a MIM green san dimas with the jb and the 59 duncans.The problem i face is there is no music shop here in australia with one for me test drive.today i played a kramer pacer(it was never gonna happen),yuk the neck felt like a plank,Is the san dimas neck anything like the Pacer neck?
    I have a Charvel mutt that i absolutely love,that would killer if i get it leveled,refreted and setup($500-600).But i can get a new guitar.

Should i just dive in and take a punt with a MIM san dimas or fix old guitar?

What would you do?

all opinions appreciated.

did i mention that i can get a new guitar.

To me, fixing gear is just a part of ownership. Like getting the oil changed, or putting gas in it.
    When buying a car, you don't think --- $40k plus gas every week and an oil change every other month.
    Replacing frets may be like replacing a transmission, while a fret level is more like a yearly tuneup.

So, go buy the new guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      To me, fixing gear is just a part of ownership. Like getting the oil changed, or putting gas in it.
      When buying a car, you don't think --- $40k plus gas every week and an oil change every other month.
      Replacing frets may be like replacing a transmission, while a fret level is more like a yearly tuneup.

i didnt realize my dad joined this forum

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

Sorry piano guy,I just couldn't resist.it is a bit like getting a new car,today I checked out some cheap MIK ones.

Comment

It really sux here in Oz don't it, no one has anything to try. You sure as hell wouldn't buy here at the insaner than insane prices we have.

I should imagine you'd be happy with one if you take the punt.

Comment

It's an old sales tactic I learned at the store.
            People (over 16) understand cars. Put it in terms of cars because we've all experienced them.

Comment

I guess I'm a little different on this. If you have a guitar you love that needs work, then spend the money to fix it! Why buy something new when you have already found an instrument that that speaks to you? There will be plenty of time to buy new guitars in your lifetime. I believe that it is best to take care of an old friend before adding a new friend.

Comment

No refrets on mutts for me, that takes the fun out of mutts, I'd trade it in on the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by zenridaz View Post
                  Hi guys
                  Well i have been given the green light to buy a new 6 striger and have been eyeing off a MIM green san dimas with the jb and the 59 duncans.The problem i face is there is no music shop here in australia with one for me test drive.today i played a kramer pacer(it was never gonna happen),yuk the neck felt like a plank,Is the san dimas neck anything like the Pacer neck?
                  I have a Charvel mutt that i absolutely love,that would killer if i get it leveled,refreted and setup($500-600).But i can get a new guitar.

Should i just dive in and take a punt with a MIM san dimas or fix old guitar?

What would you do?

all opinions appreciated.

did i mention that i can get a new guitar.
                  Get the new guitar, keep the old one fix later , it's not eating anything. You'll be for a couple weeks. Guitars are like woman, you can have 2 a like (twins) & still wanna try the new one , your other guitar won't get jealous though.
                  \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                    It really sux here in Oz don't it, no one has anything to try. You sure as hell wouldn't buy here at the insaner than insane prices we have.

I should imagine you'd be happy with one if you take the punt.
                    Yah, but my local chain store--Guitar Center no less--doesn't have any
                    San Dimas' to try out either! I feel your pain...

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                      Yah, but my local chain store--Guitar Center no less--doesn't have any
                      San Dimas' to try out either! I feel your pain...
                      I can't feel as bad for you lefty you have an option, you're only an hour and half from one of the most famous guitar stores in the world the HOG or House Of Guitars, Rochester, NY.
                      \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
                        I can't feel as bad for you lefty you have an option, you're only an hour and half from one of the most famous guitar stores in the world the HOG or House Of Guitars, Rochester, NY.
                        You got that right! I've bought lots of gear from the HOG over the years,
                        but sadly it's now filled mainly with Epis and Squiers. Still lots of great
                        stuff in there though, esp. amps...

Comment

You get used to the feel of worn-down frets, though, and that becomes a part of the character. When you finally reach the point that you accept the frets need replacing, you end up with a totally different feel than you're used to, and it can be worse than getting to know a new guitar. Suddenly, your "old friend" comes home from major surgery, and you're like "dafuk?" until you get used to it.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What I might suggest is you look for the new Dave Murray MIM?
                            It's Charvel spec w/a Fender Label, plus it may be easier to come by seeing as how it's the parent label.
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Yeah I'm close,I'm hot,currently got my eye on a socal MIJ,should know soon.
                              was playing my mutt lastnight,she has great tone,will be interesting to see how the socal stacks up against it.the refret will happen but just maybe a few months down the track.

Comment

Working...
                              X