POLL: priorities when buying used guitars. function or form? plz vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: priorities when buying used guitars. function or form? plz vote

of course when we buy new, we expect perfection, specifically in upper end models, but when it comes to used guitars, are you more inclined to overlook cosmetic flaws more than little buzzes, gritty tuners, or vice versa?

I know we all like um pretty and perfect playing, but like when you see a steal of a deal, but it has a few flaws, you know?

if you have any pet peeves, what are they?
    function over form
    100.00%
    form over function
    0.00%
    1959 Gibson ES175D natural/bigsby
    2012 Jackson Soloist SLX white Floyd Rose Special
    2012 Jackson RRXMG Matte Black Floyd Rose Special
    2010 Agile AL3000 Ebony

Hardware and electronics are held on with screws and can be easily changed if they're bad.

However, bad construction is bad construction. If you've got the tools and talent to do fretwork, you can take care of buzzes. If you can paint, you can fix those issues.

That's assuming the seller is up-front about those issues.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

For me it's all relative to the price. When I bought my KVPRO it needed to be completely rewired (pots/Jack and pickups) and had typical dings on the points (not too bad tho) and I gladly paid $500 for it. Steal of the century, yet I happily paid $800 for my Warrior Pro shortly thereafter and it needed paint, fretwork and had a strap button broken off the top horn. These were not top dollar at the time. When I spent $2000 on my 2000 RR1 last year it absolutely had to be flawless or no deal and it was.

So that said, if you had to choose from a $400 for a mint X-series or $900 for a worn USA....... 9 times out of 10 I'd spend more on the higher model.
      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I guess I gotta go with function over form because a few of my NEW guitars are 2nds with cosmetic blemishes or repairs. Used ones have had some cosmetic issues, but the last one (SDK-075) was because I fell in love with the looks. Played like crap, but was nothing a couple shims, set up, and a couple stacked humbuckers couldn't fix. Now it's my go to and performs flawlessly! But mainly I'm function over form. That said, I'm falling for a non-functioning project right now...

Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Assuming the guitar is fundamentally sound (trussrod functions, no neck cracks, frets aren't shot), that's when 'prettiness' kicks in for me because everything else can be addressed easily enough.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Has to be Charvel!!

Comment

I can't vote one way or another because BOTH play a part for me.
              Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Function more often than not. If neck, frets, headstock, & body are in good functioning condition; then cosmetics & electronics can be addressed after that.
                KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                  Has to be Charvel!!
                  +1 Gotta be a Charvel

Comment

I think that when buying used one is generally going to be more accepting of form flaws because they are almost expected.
                    A guitar that doesn't feel and work right is a deal breaker. Unless it just has little electrical problems.

If the guitar is well used maybe it is a sweet player.
                    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
                    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
                    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
                    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

Working...
                    X