rr5 body repairing info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rr5 body repairing info

Hi, I would like to know if there's a right way to repair by my own some scratches and bumps on the body and wingtips of my RR5

thanks

Nico

It depends on how deep they are and what color you are talking about.
    Small scratches in the clear might rub out.
    For chips or scratches through the paint you can try to find some matching auto touch up paint.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't post attachments (as it appears on the lower part of the page "you may not post attachments"...) so I can't show you what I'm talking about. (do I need a permission from the admin??)

The guitar is a ivory/gold RR5. It has a chip on the body and the usual chips on the wingtips. On another forum I found a thread where they talk about fillers like bondo or putty to fill the damage.

But what about the painting? Is there a specific code for that ivory color I could refer to? and what kind of paint has to be used?

I think there's a big bibliography about this problem but I can't find anything.

thanks

Nico

Comment

You need to host your pics somewhere like Photobucket or another similar site, then link them here.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Toejam.

here the pics of the chips. Any help for repairing is welcome.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

does anybody know the better way to repair it or address me to a specified thread?

thanks

Comment

Matching that color will be damn near impossible.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                Matching that color will be damn near impossible.
                So right....years ago I had an RR5 with a wing-ding and bought three or four white / antique white / ivory / tan rattle cans (enamel is easiest to work with IMO), and kept spraying them into a container until I "found" the right color. I'm sure there is an easier way, but the Krylon / Rustoleum paints sand and buff out very nicely.
                "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

You're lucky you found the right color... no, there really isn't an easier way. You just gotta mix until you match.

Comment

thanks guys, so the best way to fix it seems to be putting some filler (plaster?) on the chips, then sand paper to give the right shape, painting and finally coating with enamel?? omg ok ok it can only get better, or not?

Comment

I think it is possible to get almost exactly matching color if you bring your guitar to a auto paint shop. They usually have a spectrometer and they can make a spray can using the data the device gives. Of course that will cost more than mixing the color yourself.
                      My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
                        I think it is possible to get almost exactly matching color if you bring your guitar to a auto paint shop. They usually have a spectrometer and they can make a spray can using the data the device gives. Of course that will cost more than mixing the color yourself.
                        this is a good idea, thank you

Comment

I'd just use the closest shade of nail varnish you can find and touch it up like that.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                            I'd just use the closest shade of nail varnish you can find and touch it up like that.
                            ^ this.

Comment

Working...
                            X