Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice new guitar: DK2 Dinky Pro

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, joined this community to get some advice and info...I would like to get back playing guitar after a long break (17 years), for home-studio and recording.

The guitar will be switched on a audio card interface and use different amp modeling softwares. I'm also thinking of buying the Kemper Amp later on.

Music style : Metal/Fusion

Style of playing :
    no solo or schredding...I'm more of a "rhythm" type of player

When i went to the guitar shop, the seller suggested me an LTD with Seymour Duncans pickups SH-4/SH-1 (670$)

Later on i checked the Charvel/Jackson section, fell in Love right away with the Jackson Dinky Pro DK2MQHT "Chlorine Burst" (2013 model), looks better in terms of buit quality (MIM) than the LTD, it is also equipped with Seymour Duncans JB/59 Zebra.

After checking prices on internet, I found out there was a new DK2 "Chlorine Burst" (2015 model) but way more expensive !

I finally found a used Dinky Pro DK2 HT "Crimson Swirl" (2009 MIJ) on sale 615$ with Gator Hardcase.

Apparently, this guitar is almost brand new with no single scratch...

So now i have 3 options :

- DK2QM HT "Chlorine Burst" (2013) : 806$
    - Dk2QM (with Floyd) "Chlorine Burst" (2015) : 863$ (The only model left at the shop at this price, but i won't be using much the Floyd)
    - DK2 HT "Crimson Swirl" (2009) : 615$

Should i go for a new model (MIM) or used model (MIJ) ?

Used DK2T's are quite hard to find. I know because I only play string thru bridge Jacksons and I keep a keen eye out on ebay and other classifieds.

The DK2T is way overpriced in my opinion. Japanese models can be had quite readily in the North American used market for $3-400. In France things may be much, much different.

Is a near mint DK2T with case worth $615? Probably. That's close to what the guitar sold for new, but it may be a fantastic playing instrument in new condition.
    If you're not a tremolo player, avoid the Floyd.

Best advice: Try them all and pick what feels best. Make sure there's a good return policy if you buy online.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks for the response !

I've already tried the LTD and DK2QM (with Floyd) during 20 minutes at the shop, the Dinky Pro felt better

I'd rather purchase the guitar from a shop, not online (unless if the price is really worth it)

Don't know if there is a huge difference with a MIM and MIJ...I really like the "Chlorine Burst" color more than the "Crimson Swirl" but on the other hand, i like the sharkfin !
      Last edited by CYCO; 09-27-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I believe all guitars need to be judged on an individual basis. There are good and bad examples from all countries of manufacture.

I'm all about the sharkfins, too, but I prefer the chlorine over the crimson.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I guess i'll have to paint the sharkfins in Blue

Comment

From a quality standpoint, I think the modern DK2 is better than a $600 Ltd.
            But I think the higher up Ltd models are just as good as the Jackson, which makes more sense since they would be a dollar comparison (both around a $1200 MSRP).

Then, with equal quality, it comes down to which one you like the design of --- Not everyone likes the Jackson neck, not everyone likes the Ltd neck.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              From a quality standpoint, I think the modern DK2 is better than a $600 Ltd.
              But I think the higher up Ltd models are just as good as the Jackson, which makes more sense since they would be a dollar comparison (both around a $1200 MSRP).

Then, with equal quality, it comes down to which one you like the design of --- Not everyone likes the Jackson neck, not everyone likes the Ltd neck.
              A agree with you, the Jackson looked and felt way better (buid quality) than the LTD...I'm ready to spend 134$ more for the Dinky Pro (even if it exceeds my budget)

Comment

Working...
              X