Custom shop ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop ?'s

Did I read that there's a 2 year wait for a custom? Also, any idea why they won't make a string-thru Dinky? I had one made in 2004 but the custom form now says " tom not available on DK " ( tune o matic bridge ).

that just means it has to be "masterbuilt" i.e. not part of the custom select options

Comment

Ah, so a $1,700 up charge for a string-thru? That's just silly!

Comment

Originally posted by pitboss View Post
        Well worth it. That bridge is easily worth 1700
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I prefer the hardtail bridge on a strat body over the TOM, but that's not a custom select option either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
            Well worth it. That bridge is easily worth 1700
            Painted bevels aren't worth 1700 either, but the MB charge is not about paying for the parts / paint - you're paying for a process which like it or not was deemed 'outside' the more common variations that are covered by Custom Select.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Or you can just get a Soloist, instead. Same body style, just bolt-on vs neck-through.

And, yes, masterbuilt custom shop guitars are taking 2-plus years. Custom Select orders are taking about a year or so, maybe less depending on options.

Comment

To be clear the $1700 charge for Master Built actually translates to about $1275 added to the retail price.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post

And, yes, masterbuilt custom shop guitars are taking 2-plus years. Custom Select orders are taking about a year or so, maybe less depending on options.
                  My Soloist that I just got took right at six months as a Custom Select and it had a bunch of odd ball changes. I have a KV on order that should be here February but last I heard it was looking more late summer of next year.

Comment

And I have a custom select Soloist that's at 8 months and counting. To the best of my knowledge, the build hasn't even started yet, so it's very likely going to be a year or maybe more.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      And I have a custom select Soloist that's at 8 months and counting. To the best of my knowledge, the build hasn't even started yet, so it's very likely going to be a year or maybe more.
                      That's kind of crazy. I know dealers can check and see roughly were the build is in the process and projected completion date. You must haveordered the extra mojo option.

Comment

I'm not complaining. I'd rather the guitar be done right, than done quick. And waiting for a year is a heck of a lot better than the 2 or 3 it takes for a masterbuilt custom order.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                          To be clear the $1700 charge for Master Built actually translates to about $1275 added to the retail price.
                          So, if I pick my options and it comes out to $4k on the custom spec sheet, in reality I'll pay $3k or so. ( I'm a little out of the loop here, I last ordered a custom in 2004. Things were a lot cheaper then ).

Comment

So, if I pick my options and it comes out to $4k on the custom spec sheet, in reality I'll pay $3k or so. ( I'm a little out of the loop here, I last ordered a custom in 2004. Things were a lot cheaper then ).
                            I think it's fairly common that you'll see a 15-20% discount from the MSRP price calculated from the price sheet. For example my soloist I just got that I have posted had a MSRP of 4100 and I paid 3200 + the government extortion fee

Comment

Yeah, the MSRP scares a lot of people, but the damage isn't quite that bad. CMC Guitars has a few $4000 MSRP models selling for about $3000 street price.
                              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                              X