Stripping neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping neck

Anyone know of a luthier who will strip the paint off the back of the neck of a soloist? Obviously, I want high quality. I want it to look like it was done by the custom shop.

Dan Lawrence at DRL Graphics did a stellar job on my Collen Archtop! I asked him to not only refinish it in sparkle silver but also strip the neck to a natural feel and I just add Tru Oil gunstock oil now and again.

Dan and Kim are such a pleasure to work with and his attention to detail is awesome too! Call him and you will NOT be disappointed trust me!

http://www.drlgrafx.com/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vklobucar; 11-12-2015, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Yep, Dan is great to work with and does quality work. You can also check out GMW Guitars. In addition to their custom builds, Lee at GMW has been doing a lot of refin/repair work lately. I have a Charvel model 1 with GMW right now and Lee stripped the finish that was on the neck and oiled it. Graphic work is being done so I haven't gotten it back yet. But looking forward to checking it out.

http://gmwguitarrepair.com/

Comment

The custom shop 'overlaps' clear coat for about 1/4" onto the bare wood, so you'd never get a stripped neck to look exactly the same without getting the body re-cleared..
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. I had a local luthier refuse to strip a soloist neck above the scarf joint. I explained I really want the entire neck stripped and oiled. He won't do it. I don't understand why.

Comment

He maybe afraid the oil will loosen the glue joint. I have 2 C/J that had the necks striped not by a pro. Jackson finishes are thick getting a nice clean nice it won't be smooth.

Comment

Working...
            X