Origin of the "Dinky" name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of the "Dinky" name?

I had a conversation with the keyboard player in my band the other day. He wanted to know why guitar players (who he says are a bunch of swaggering macho dickheads) would play a guitar called (in his best baby voice) a "Dinky". I kicked him in the balls and later didn't help him load out but had to admit I had no answer for him.

From Wikipedia:
    The Jackson Dinky is a Superstrat-style double-cutaway electric guitar built by Jackson Guitars. The "Dinky" is named for its slightly smaller than normal (7/8) body size.
    You were right to kick him in the nuggets.
    Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

I'm not of fan of the name either.
      My understanding is the term 'Dinky' was used as early as the prototype process in the early '80's.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

And the smaller Rhoads that Dan Spitz played were known as a Dinky Rhoads, long before the Extreme Rhoads XTRR came out.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Was Dan's Dinky Rhoads 24.75 scale?
          Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

He certainly is. I know the origins of the Dinky now and love the original 22 fret shape, I know it's not Jackson, but the USA ST3 evolution fascinates me. I don't really care for Ibanez though.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
              Was Dan's Dinky Rhoads 24.75 scale?
              No, standard 25.5" scale.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                He certainly is. I know the origins of the Dinky now and love the original 22 fret shape, I know it's not Jackson, but the USA ST3 evolution fascinates me. I don't really care for Ibanez though.
                Ibanez? The ST3 was BC Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Boy View Post
                  I had a conversation with the keyboard player in my band the other day. He wanted to know why guitar players (who he says are a bunch of swaggering macho dickheads) would play a guitar called (in his best baby voice) a "Dinky". I kicked him in the balls and later didn't help him load out but had to admit I had no answer for him.
                  He's a keyboard player, he wouldn't have understood even if you had the answer for him
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

"Dinky", as in Dinky Strat. i.e., A then-modernized (80s) evolution of the classic bolt-on Strat body shape, but with harder edges and slightly smaller than a full-sized Strat. Later also done in a 24 fret neck-through version that was dubbed the Soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      No, standard 25.5" scale.
                      Some were short scale Joe - the one I have is..
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Really? That's cool. Always thought they were all standard.

Comment

Scale length is scale length.
                          But Dinky is about the body.

Comment

The history of the ST-III is posted somewhere. it was actually a revision of the ugly ST, and the brain child of 1 or 2 FORMER Charvel/Jackson employees that were working for BCRich at the time. Basically they went to Bernie and said your super strat looks horrible, make them like this....more C/J like.

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post

Comment

Working...
                            X