'83 Jackson Performer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '83 Jackson Performer?

Hello first of all, and thank you for helping me out!
    I found an ad about a 1983 Jackson performer for sale, which if true, would be my first jackson! (Always wanted an 80s guitar), but I am completely new to jackson guitars, so first of all: Was this model even being produced that year? Makes me wonder! Also, I got pictures of the guitar and the serial number, which are these:
    Headstock

Whole guitar

Serial

Looks like a legit Jackson (If it isn't, please excuse my ignorance!), but it's be good to know if the year the seller provides is also right.
    Thanks for all your help!

No, the Performer line was not available in 1983.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's a Japanese built PS-4 serial number puts it around 1996-1998 time frame.
      -Rick

Comment

Ok then, I was dubious about the age, but just in case, how much would you pay for it??
        How would it compare to say an Ibanez? What is the closest model?

Comment

The biggest knock on that model would be the JT500 tremolo. The 500 doesn't have a great reputation, but I've never owned one, so I have no opinion.
          Depending on your location, you could get a used DK2 or DKMG for $275-350. And, later versions of those models ('06-'11) have Seymour Duncans-DK2 or EMG 81/85-DKMG.

In North America, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a Performer, and it'd have to be in great shape for $250.
          I don't doubt it's a well made guitar, though. Japan wasn't known for building crap guitars.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Just to toss this out there... when I think "80's guitar", I do not think of a solid black double cutaway (strat shape).

Anywho...
            It is a legit Jackson. But it is a legit Jackson import. From the mid/late 90's. Not a good Japanese one. A cheap Korean one --- unless it was a first year or last year, because those were made in Japan instead of Korea, but was still cheaper than the other Japanese imports.

Me, personally, would not pay over $100 for it - if I was going to buy a Performer.
            But, as mentioned, since you can find better guitars for peanuts, there is no reason to buy a Performer.

In comparison to Ibanez, I would say that the Performers are the equivalent to the Gio line. Not in playability or quality. Just in the sense that it is the entry level product.
            I actually think, when new, the Performers were better than the Gios. But the performers are now 20 years old, with 20 years of use, as well as (in many cases) 20 years of abuse. So comparing a 20 year old Performer to a new Gio is unfair.

Comment

This one is Japanese, not Korean.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I have a Korean Performer & it's a great guitar, so the Jap one should be better but mine must've been well looked after.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't pay more than $100.00 for it tops. As far as the hardware goes, you can upgrade it. I wouldn't sink to much into it for a flip cause you're not going to get much for it, but if you're going to keep it forever I see no problem with fixing it up to make it nice.
                  Last edited by Jackson8090s; 12-23-2015, 05:36 PM.
                  \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Working...
                  X