No announcement yet.

Need Help - What is This Exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding is the Grover Jackson logo'd guitars were finished during the late '90s. That brushed chrome hardware was available in the late '90s on DK2's and other models.
    Removing the neck is basically 4 bolts. I'm not sure if removing the neck will affect the Floyd Rose setup or not.

I'm not certain how those Japanese market serial numbers operate, but on North American models, 9642xxx indicates either 1996 or 2000ish depending on with of the 2 formats was used. My best guess is this is a '96, but checking the stamps is the most certain option. Serial numbers aren't an exact science and there are lots of inconsistencies, misprints etc.

I can't find a GJ catalogue beyond '93, but they may be online somewhere.
    Last edited by Mudlark; 12-24-2015, 01:08 PM.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      My understanding is the Grover Jackson logo'd guitars were finished during the late '90s. That brushed chrome hardware was available in the late '90s on DK2's and other models.
      Removing the neck is basically 4 bolts. I'm not sure if removing the neck will affect the Floyd Rose setup or not.

I'm not certain how those Japanese market serial numbers operate, but on North American models, 9642xxx indicates either 1996 or 2000ish depending on with of the 2 formats was used. My best guess is this is a '96, but checking the stamps is the most certain option. Serial numbers aren't an exact science and there are lots of inconsistencies, misprints etc.

I can't find a GJ catalogue beyond '93, but they may be online somewhere.
      Alright, so if I do end up taking off the neck to check, what exactly am I looking for? What should I see?

Comment

I can't promise anything. Many have a date and model stamp on the neck heel and/or neck pocket.
        Some '90s models were just indecipherable digits, others had a full date such as 1996- 03- 20. Some were stamped lightly and are hardly visible.

It's worth checking.
        Last edited by Mudlark; 12-24-2015, 03:19 PM.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          I can't promise anything. Many have a date and model stamp on the neck heel and/or neck pocket.
          Some '90s models were just undecipherable digits, others had a full date such as 1996- 03- 20. Some were stamped lightly and are hardly visible.

It's worth checking.
          Well, I guess I'm not really worried about it anymore. I just found my exact guitar that was sold on a Japanese website for around $220. I might look at some point in the future but I think I'm going to just sell it and buy a nice guitar.

Here is the site... http://item.rakuten.co.jp/thrift/95-eg-0-14937/

Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
            But it's GC, even if they knew what it was & it's worth, they're still gonna say $100, most guitar shops will do that.

Sorta. I actually don't think that GC really rips people off too bad on used gear when it comes to trade ins (new gear absolutely they do). Yeah are you going to get more on the free market, absolutely. They have overhead etc... And have to sit on it until someone is interested. I.e. Take a dual rec in general they will give 600 in trade in then put it out there for 850. By the time someone like me gets done with them I have them at 700. So they make a hundred bucks and sit in it and pay out a commission. Now the guy they traded it in they made money on his sale for a new les Paul or whatever. The majority of their money though is in beginner package instruments and strings and accessories. They get such huge rebates on that stuff that the mom and pops don't that is where the money is at. Used gear they likely would rather not touch. They have too though for trade ins.
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
              strings and accessories. They get such huge rebates on that stuff that the mom and pops

There is some stuff that they sell cheaper than I can buy it direct for.
              No, I won't buy from them and resell. I just won't carry that stuff. Which is fine, because it is a piano/organ store with some guitars and accessories on the side. But it's just the point... they sell (at a profit) for less than I can buy it for.

Comment

Out of curiousity I went and grabbed one of my 2000 Japanese KS2's to see if the neckplate had a "96" serial number. Sure enough, Jackson Japan was still using the "96" neckplates in 2000. I do not know when Japanese "Grover Jackson" models stopped. I went back through my Jackson catalogs and found that Jackson Japan used that "Satin Chrome" hardware only in 1999-2001. Maybe it's a 1999 model.

Also, I don't see that one as a low end Japanese model. I would call it mid-range with all that binding, body and neck and headstock. With the sharkfin inlays, JT-580LP trem, etc., it's pretty much on par with the DK-2 but with body binding.

Last edited by lepard; 12-25-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Generally, the sequential serial # format hit 9700000 about 2003ish. 9642xxx should be '99-2000 according to my list of numbers that have been confirmed by neck pocket date stamps.

That's assuming it isn't using the date-coded format, which would make it a '96. But, if that brushed chrome hardware wasn't offered in '96, '99-2000 is looking good.

I'm hoping we'll get to see the date stamps. It'd be helpful to learn if the GJ logos went as late as '99-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                    I do not know when Japanese "Grover Jackson" models stopped.
                    Usually it's said Grover Jackson stopped at 2000-2001. I am the owner of a neckthru SL-cu 90HH, and the serial is 02xxxx, so I'd say 2002; this is the later GJ I've seen.

Comment

02xxxx would be 2002 using the Japanese neck thru number format that was in use during the 2000's.
                      Seems GJ did indeed go much later than I was aware of.

Comment

It looks like a model that was supposed to compete with the Ibanez EX series of the time. It reminds me of the mid-90s EX350 I had back in '97. I'd have to dig out my old fliers to see, but I'm pretty sure the "Maximum Fun" and "Curious Unique" lines came at the very end of the GJ lifespan.

Judging by my JacksonStars NASLs, they did follow a "first two numbers = year" format - one is from 2000 and another is from 2002, and start with 00 and 02.

However, neck binding shouldn't be used as a metric for quality - the RR3 has been the highest-level bolt-on Rhoads for decades, and doesn't have binding.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X