Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My guitar story

Back story-
    My wife surprised me around 9 months ago with an acoustic guitar. She knew I always wanted to learn to play, so she encouraged me to.
    Fast forward to around Christmas time, I was cruising around on craigslist and looking at electric guitars. I seen a MIJ Jackson and fell in love with it. My wife seen me looking at it and must had mentally noted it down. My wife and I usually don't exchange gifts for Christmas because our income is limited. I work full time and she has to take care of our son 24/7 (2 years old and was born with various medical conditions). So needless to say I wasn't expecting anything, which was fine. A few days later she surprises me. I get home from work to see the guitar sitting on my side of the bed. She had been saving up for months trying to figure out what she could get me, and after she seen how much I loved that guitar, she got it.

Current-
    So I have the MIJ Jackson guitar, serial #-9667052, in my hands. I plug it in and notice that it is in drop C tuning. I have been playing my acoustic in standard and sometimes drop D. I end up loosing the guitar locking nuts, and start to tune it back to standard. I tune one string, then another, etc etc. I go back to recheck and notice all the strings are out of tune. I see something near the B string tuner and my heart sinks. There is a long crack. (See pictures below). It looks like the guy ended up cracking the neck, trying to fix it himself, and then just rigging it up and selling it. Is there anyway to fix this without having to purchase a new neck? I can't really afford a neck at the moment. If I can't fix it, is there a place where I could find a used neck, if so how much would they cost me?

[IMG][/IMG]

(TLDR: Wife secretly saved up money to purchase me a MIJ Jackson on craigslist. Found out Guitar neck is cracked).
    Thanks.

I bet your tuning issue has more to do if the fact its a floating trem, then the crack. If your new to Floyd type trems, find some forum threads here or Youtube some videos on setting them up. When you adjust one string the others change pitch with Floyd trems. Id check out that crack, but you may be in luck.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Is that a maple neck? Looks really dirty! I can't even see a scarf joint. Pics of the whole guitar?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

how can you not tell that was all messed up? looks like that neck has been through a fire. I can see the crack on the back and the front of the headstock. go on ebay and buy another one, they are cheap as hell.

Comment

I don't think it's the end of the world especially if the body's in great shape. You can get necks on eBay if you really want to. MIJ guitars are really good. Def take pics of the whole guitar. The back of that neck is really weird.

The tuning problem is probably more akin to your trem not being level. Floyds are tricky to setup but once you do your all set
          Last edited by Baconjerky; 01-14-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

If you want E standard, you'll need a lighter gauge string set, 9-42 should solve that. The bridge base plate should sit parallel to the body.

The neck may have a strong enough repair so don't freak yet. Looks like someone tried to paint the back then did a half arsed sanding job to remove it. Some people.........

Comment

One obvious reason why guitar does not stay in tune is that E/A and B/e string lock clamps are not correctly installed, they should be rotated 90 degrees. If locking nut works as it should, then it doesn´t matter much if tuners (or headstock) are not in perfect shape.
              Last edited by Zedder; 01-15-2016, 08:19 AM.
              My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                Looks like someone tried to paint the back then did a half arsed sanding job to remove it. Some people.........
                I don't know if it was painted and removed or in a fire, but it sure doesn't look good.

Comment

It's dead Jim.

Comment

Wood glue and some clamps. Take the tuners out... try to spread open the crack enough to force some wood glue into the cracks on either side, clamp it down. It should be easy to make solid again, and yeah I think it's more likely the floating trem is causing the change... you need to adjust the trem spring claw in the back if you're changing tunings.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

We won't ever know the end of the story if the guy doesn't return to reply.

Comment

The neck is a horrible mess. tons of cross grain scratches from low grit sanding by an amateur. leads me to believe the neck repair was also an amateur job. owner is an amateur due to the fact they don't understand tuning and using a floyd.

in this case we aren't saying amateur as an insult but by what it's definition means. but whoever did that to the neck was tarded.

Comment

Good glue and clamping will work. I had a LP that fell and snapped the headstock TWICE in different places.

BTW - I would advise against selling/trading any guitar your wife buys you. They hold on to that memory forever.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                            BTW - I would advise against selling/trading any guitar your wife buys you. They hold on to that memory forever.
                            Soooooo true. I've got a js series that I just rarely noodle around with acoustically from a birthday present. It's been made very clear to me what a wonderful gift it was many times over :/

Comment

Working...
                            X