No announcement yet.

Negotiating prices on new guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say just go in with cash in hand that you're willing to spend. I bought a guitar for a buddy of mine once. Mom & pop shop had the guitar for $2499. I walked in with $2250 in crisp bills. Told the guy I really liked the guitar, then pulled out the cash and said "But I only have $2250 to spend, is there any chance you could work with me on the price?" He came back with "$2275 and it's yours"

If you make a fair offer and don't try to lowball you have a decent chance if the person is cool. Plus, whipping out a wad of cold hard cash in front of them can really help some people along. It never hurts to at least try.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I agree with the notion that "the price that's on it is the price". If I find it unreasonable, I let it go, especially if it's mass-produced and easily found elsewhere for less. If it's hard to find and something I really want, I might be more inclined to pay the asking price.

At the end of the day, these are non-essentials. Luxury items. If your taste in luxury items does not match your ability to pay for them.....champagne taste on beer budget......move along. It's one thing to NEED a good guitar for gigging. It's another thing entirely to WANT a top-shelf guitar at a garage band budget.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        I agree with the notion that "the price that's on it is the price". If I find it unreasonable, I let it go, especially if it's mass-produced and easily found elsewhere for less. If it's hard to find and something I really want, I might be more inclined to pay the asking price.

At the end of the day, these are non-essentials. Luxury items. If your taste in luxury items does not match your ability to pay for them.....champagne taste on beer budget......move along. It's one thing to NEED a good guitar for gigging. It's another thing entirely to WANT a top-shelf guitar at a garage band budget.
        Nobody pays sticker on a car. When a house is listed, the price is just a starting point. Why would guitars be different?

In big chains it's tougher because you're not talking to the boss. They're not empowered to do better on cash or anything else unless they've been instructed in how far they can go. Whatever flexibility they have is likely defined quite tightly. When you're talking to the proprietor, anything goes.

Now, as adults, that doesn't mean you waste someone's time with bullshit offers. But I'd entertain reasonable offers all day long without concern. I have no problem making them either- but if the offer is accepted, no more- deal's done, unlimber the wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
          Nobody pays sticker on a car. When a house is listed, the price is just a starting point. Why would guitars be different?
          Car dealers have started -- thanks to the internet driving prices of everything to the ground -- have started the 'no haggle' policy where the salesmen are hourly instead of commission, and a customer pays sticker price or they don't buy it. I have also seen what is called 'live market driven pricing', which is where you pay the going rate for the car - again, no haggle.

And houses --- some markets are the exact opposite. List price is the starting point, and the offers are more.
          That's because it is not a business where you must get the deal done before a customer leaves or you lose it altogether. Buying homes is a more slow process. Higher offers are enticements to accept.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            Car dealers have started -- thanks to the internet driving prices of everything to the ground -- have started the 'no haggle' policy where the salesmen are hourly instead of commission, and a customer pays sticker price or they don't buy it. I have also seen what is called 'live market driven pricing', which is where you pay the going rate for the car - again, no haggle.

And houses --- some markets are the exact opposite. List price is the starting point, and the offers are more.
            That's because it is not a business where you must get the deal done before a customer leaves or you lose it altogether. Buying homes is a more slow process. Higher offers are enticements to accept.
            cars depreciate after bought new (OK, ages from now you might be in the possession of a 'classic') and houses appreciate...guitars in general depreciate...

hell, my "84 RR custom is only worth about $500 more than I paid for it 32 years ago

this is why the sky is the limit on the value of a homestead...

yeah, yeah, the housing market bust in 2008...in general a home is an investment with the concept of it's value increasing over time yet the payment stays pretty much the same (Principle and Interest should be a constant total (unless one is an idiot and gets a loan with a variable interest rate) but Taxes and Insurance in general increase over time...PITI), and over time a home owner will see the monthly payment be less than the typical rent of a similar property.
            Last edited by '84RR; 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by '84RR View Post
              cars depreciate after bought new (OK, ages from now you might be in the possession of a 'classic') and houses appreciate...guitars in general depreciate...hell, my "84 RR custom is only worth about $500 more than I paid for it 32 years agothis is why the sky is the limit on the value of a homestead...yeah, yeah, the housing market bust in 2008...in general a home is an investment with the concept of it's value increasing over time yet the payment stays pretty much the same (Principle and Interest should be a constant total (unless one is an idiot and gets a loan with a variable interest rate) but Taxes and Insurance in general increase over time...PITI), and over time a home owner will see the monthly payment be less than the typical rent of a similar property.
              Cost of carry is a totally separate issue. House prices are negotiable. End stop. It's totally normal and expected to deal with attempts to shift price EVEN AFTER AN OFFER IS MADE ("my inspector says the roof is shot, my inspector says there is plumbing that isn't code", etc).

When I bought my house I came in under asking price- and I did hear back through the realtor that we were trying to steal from the seller, in the seller's view. Very histrionic. Great, take the next guy's bid if it's better! But it wasn't, so there you go.

The path to current value is irrelevant to this discussion. If it's a 59 Les Paul with a $100,000 tag on it, why would it be wrong to offer $95,000? That's on an appreciated asset too. So what?

In any case, I'll continue to make offers. If they're accepted, great. When they aren't, I'll move on- and I have never regretted moving on.
              Last edited by Vass; 01-20-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                Cost of carry is a totally separate issue. House prices are negotiable. End stop. It's totally normal and expected to deal with attempts to shift price EVEN AFTER AN OFFER IS MADE ("my inspector says the roof is shot, my inspector says there is plumbing that isn't code", etc).

When I bought my house I came in under asking price- and I did hear back through the realtor that we were trying to steal from the seller, in the seller's view. Very histrionic. Great, take the next guy's bid if it's better! But it wasn't, so there you go.

The path to current value is irrelevant to this discussion. If it's a 59 Les Paul with a $100,000 tag on it, why would it be wrong to offer $95,000? That's on an appreciated asset too. So what?

In any case, I'll continue to make offers. If they're accepted, great. When they aren't, I'll move on- and I have never regretted moving on.
                oh, there is NOTHING wrong with making offers...just, as you noted, be prepared to walk away (and sometimes that results in you being called back!).

the only great caveat I have is making a 'realistic' offer...skipping the modern day retail environment of the internet, a brick and mortar store is going to have a higher margin per unit sold, and too boot may be missing out on lower prices from the manufacturers because of the lower quantities they sell. since I'm one of those who believes that woods DO matter I prefer to play before I buy, and that means locality of point of purchase, which means I'll probably pay more than from an online source. I'd rather spend a few more $ and get the woods I want (sonic mostly, but nice grain is great too)...but hey, every now and again you get lucky with an order...I ordered my RR and don't regret it in any fashion

Comment

Working...
                X