Yet another "help me ID this" post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another "help me ID this" post...

I hate to come out of the gate with one that you guys probably hear all the time, but this is not only my first Jackson, it's my first guitar PERIOD, and with the exception of leading me here, my Google-fu has failed me so far.

I was given the guitar in the pics a couple of days ago, and I thought it might be a good "project." The poor girl has obviously been used and abused, and I know a guy that is chomping at the bit to get it to strip the finish off and give it a refinish. It's missing the bridge so unfortunately I can't get any pics of that... but I am hoping what I have gotten might help some of the experts here tell me what I have so I can get the right parts the first time. Serial number is NHJ1025083.

So, here's the body... Again sorry for having taken the thing apart before getting pics, but I was hoping to get the body and neck to my woodworker this evening and I got in a hurry!

You can see why I really want to pretty it up. Now the neck... the headstock and logo are backwards from most of the pics I've seen online, so I don't know if that means it's a knockoff or what the deal is.

Just in case this helps at all, here's some scribbling under where the neck joins the body...

The guts look to have two volume pots with a blade switch selector...

And here's the neck plate... if you can find it in all the dog fur.

Soooo... I guess all I can say is THANK YOU for any help, and I look forward to getting to know both you guys and the axe!

I don't know what it is - DX10 or some lower end model would be my guess but...FFS what a mess that thing is in!

The reverse headstock isn't unusual BTW, looks legit to me. The pickups are clearly cheapos though, I doubt they're going to sound very good.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wow.
      Looks like a 2010 made in India JS22R Dinky.

Good luck.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for the quick replies - Now I don't have to feel bad about stripping it down and making it a project! I'll reserve judgment until I get my guitarist to play it, but I'm notorious for modding cheap gear, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete refinish and some better pups in its future... You guys should have seen the hardware, it was UNGODLY...

Comment

Certainly looks like a JS but the specs don't add up. Probably a mutt.
          Last edited by Force; 01-24-2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I think that idea has some merit, Force. Although I am not a Jackson (or indeed a guitar) connoisseur by any stretch, I saw some solder work in there that, if factory, makes me very very sad. I look forward to correcting that and further bastardizing this instrument... hopefully for the better this time.

Comment

Provided the neck is fitted for a standard plastic/bone slotted nut, the specs perfectly match a 2010 JS22R. No binding, 24 frets, sharkfin inlays, unlogo'd pups, vintage style trem, etc....

[IMG][/IMG]
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Indeed it is sir, although the nut is yet another piece that is missing. And thank you for the image - you guys have been awesome!

Comment

Those factory plastic nuts, in my experience, are usually poorly cut and lead to tuning issues. Have a pro cut you a bone nut if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                    Those factory plastic nuts, in my experience, are usually poorly cut and lead to tuning issues. Have a pro cut you a bone nut if you can.
                    Yessir... I learned that the hard way when refurbing a beat up Yamaha bass... bone nut all the way!

Comment

Working...
                    X