Pro Mod vs. SL2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Mod vs. SL2...

I have just about decided on a new Pro Mod but then the SL's are tempting also. Which one would YOU prefer and why? I dig both headstocks equally and bolt-on vs. neck-through is about the same to me also, so I guess it boils down to country of origin. Pros, cons?
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

SL2 also has 24 frets? Or are they 22?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah the number of frets would be the main thing for me, I'd rather have 24.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

USA or Japan?
        I owned a MIJ So-Cal and currently have both an SL-1 and SL-2. Totally different animals all together. The USA Jacksons imo are better quality / craftsmanship and are great players for both rhythm and lead. The So-Cal, while not as high quality and lacking alot of the fine features of the Jackson is just an all out beast of a guitar and sounds and plays great. Just a guitar that's fun to play and hard to down.

I wouldn't trade my Jacksons for one but I am currently looking to replace the MIJ with a USA So-Cal or San Dimas. My preference is to have both
        13' Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro ii - Alpine White
        05' Gibson Les Paul Classic - Ebony
        USA Jackson SL-2
        USA Jackson SL-1
        Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
        Marshall 1965A 4x10
        Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

SL2 or SL2H? The mid '90s SL2 is a budget USA model with import hardware and Armstrong pickups.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            SL2 or SL2H? The mid '90s SL2 is a budget USA model with import hardware and Armstrong pickups.
            Probably more likely to be the current Pro series SL2, given that it's in a similar sort of price bracket to the Pro Mods.
            I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

I haven't played one of the new Pro model Soloists but I did buy the Pro model RRT-3 Rhoads and was extremely disappointed. Couldn't sell it quick enough...
              USA Jackson SL-2
              USA Jackson SL-1
              Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
              Marshall 1965A 4x10
              Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by axetogrind View Post
                extremely disappointed
                We need details.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Confuse-a-Cat View Post
                  Probably more likely to be the current Pro series SL2, given that it's in a similar sort of price bracket to the Pro Mods.
                  Ah, I forgot there was a new SL2 "Pro" series. All these new models confuses a cat, eh?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                    We need details.
                    Made in Indonesia and sold new for like $800 plus.
                    Felt like a toy and was difficult to set up without buzzing.
                    My biggest gripe was the lack of tone though. Just flat and uninspring. No balls whatsoever. Just dead.

I've owned several USA and MIJ Jackson's and always liked them all but the RRT-3 almost caused me to write Jackson off for good.

My advice would be, that if you don't want to spend for a USA model, look for an older MIJ soloist or Dinky. They can be had cheap and are solid guitars. MIJ Charvel is also a great option and if your patient you can get one for under $600.
                    USA Jackson SL-2
                    USA Jackson SL-1
                    Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                    Marshall 1965A 4x10
                    Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

My bad, I was talking about the new SL2 Pro, similar price point with the current Pro Mod Charvels.
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Working...
                      X