Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing guitars with graphics outside of your home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing guitars with graphics outside of your home?

Hi,

I'd like to ask a question that I am thinking about the last days. For rehearsals and live I play an old Jackson Pro, the ones with that ultra thin necks they used to make.

Now I am thinking about changing that guitar to a DK1 I got at home. That guitar is a case-queen, was made in 1990 with a Dan Lawrence skulls-graphic and is like new, barely noticable wear. Looks like the one in the catalogues from that time, the guitars with that Dimebucker-style blade-humbuckers.

I want to change it because the sound and feel ofd the DK1 is better and it is more fun to play on. What would you guys do? Play that guitar even if it would get damaged or keep it at home and play the more expensible guitar? I'd say every guitar has to be played because it is nothing more than a tool. And what is a tool good for that never gets used? On the other hand, a nearly 30 years old guitar in perfect condition is nice, too ^^

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Cheers, Stefan

It's a hard one for sure, the world should see it but I'd be wanting to baby it too. Try rehearsals for a bit & see how it goes. If you're comfortable with that, then try a gig, as long as it's somewhere you've played before & know that she'll survive the night.

Comment

Depends on the context of the gig, as well. Are skulls "appropriate" for the occasion?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Depends on the context of the gig, as well. Are skulls "appropriate" for the occasion?
        Skulls are "appropriate" for any occasion. My wife was asked to make a wedding cake shaped like a coffin with skeletons dressed as the bride and groom lying in it. She made it...it was an awesome looking cake, just wouldn't be my choice for a wedding.
        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

since I play in a Death Metal-band I'd say skulls are appropriate.
          But when you are behind stage in a small room where the other bands stay too, you can be sure someone will damage your stuff, someone drunk is walking between your equipment like some kind of clumsy elephant or someone is throwing stuff at you and accidently hits your guitar. All these things already happened with my gear so I tend to be careful

Comment

Originally posted by v4rg View Post
            But when you are behind stage in a small room where the other bands stay too, you can be sure someone will damage your stuff, someone drunk is walking between your equipment like some kind of clumsy elephant or someone is throwing stuff at you and accidently hits your guitar. All these things already happened with my gear so I tend to be careful
            I NEVER have my guitars out of the case at a venue until I am actually onstage. When the band before us announces their last song (or I notice their set time is about up) I pull my guitars (I always have a back-up) out and tune them up. That's also when I do a couple minutes of warm-up. I have NEVER (in almost 30 years of gigging) had a guitar damaged at a show. I am sure that would change if I left one out though
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

good point with keeping it in the case till getting onstage. I think it hurts only the first time the guitar is damaged, after that it is useless to care anymore

Comment

There's a few things to consider (some of which has already been touched on):

1. Playing a Pile-o-Skulls or Jenna Jameson isn't appropriate in a Gospel or Country band. So, one needs to consider the 'image' they are putting out.

2. If you are playing in a local dive where you regularly have people puke on your gear, I would want to keep the $2000 pieces away. But if you are on a protected stage, give 'em something to look at.

3. Most of my graphic guitars are 'high end' models. Rehearsals should use 'lesser' gear, so that you have to work for it. But showtime is a time to shine, not a time to struggle.
                Think about a runner in the Olympics. They run with weights when training so that they can become stronger. Without the weights, they run faster. They wouldn't train without weights, and then add weights for the race. It would slow them down. Hell, I know guys that make sure they take a good dump before a race to make sure they got the extra 2 pounds out of them.
                So, in guitar terms - use the shitty gear to rehearse, so that you can achieve those notes under harsh conditions. When you are on the good gear, you can much more easily hit those notes. It makes gigging much more fun when you don't need to stress over hitting the notes.

4. If playing with Carrie Underwood, don't use a guitar with more glitter than her dress. She is the star, her guitar players are irrelevant. You aren't the star, she is. Don't distract her attention.

Comment

Keep it safe at home.
                  sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Play it! My opinion is you get a piece of gear because it plays well and sounds correct for you, that shouldn't change where you play it because of how much perceived value it may or may not have. The only guitars I have "decommissioned" are ones I have had for over 30 years and the just can't take the day to day. I still play them, but not full throttle. This applies mostly to acoustics for me. Which brings me to the point made about working hard during practice by playing a "lesser" quality guitar so you can run a faster race so to speak with your higher end gear. I don't agree with that one. I think all of your equipment should play the very best it can at all times. Most certainly when it comes to consistent action. If you want a workout, play a wide neck, maybe a classical, if you want to tire your fingers play a 12 string acoustic. I guarantee after playing the same set on a 12 string then back to your electric you'll feel like a superhero! You have it, play it!
                    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

If you're going to worry about the guitar more than enjoying the gig leave it at home.

If you can live with the risk of damage / theft then take the guitar - without meaning to sound harsh, while they're nice guitars those DK1s aren't worth a fortune and are unlikely to ever be. Get gig insurance though
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        4. If playing with Carrie Underwood, don't use a guitar with more glitter than her dress. She is the star, her guitar players are irrelevant. You aren't the star, she is. Don't distract her attention.
                        TRUTH!!!!! Lost a VERY high profile gig as a side-guy with a pop singer because I showed up for the closed audition with a holoflake SL-1. Tough lesson learned the hard way....
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Also depends where your playing. I don't bring flashy or higher end stuff to dive bars. But practice or better venues they are a lot safer.

Comment

Why did you buy it if you aren't going to show it off?

I disagree with #3 above ... rehearse with the gear you'll play live ... why? ... so there are no surprises when you get on stage .... you know how every thing feels and sounds.

Also, everything happens for a reason. If that high profile singer or whoever didn't like the holoflake SL1, fuck 'em.

Ya see, boys and girls, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes. And all the assholes want is to shit all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes. And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit!

So, fuck 'em and keep playing your holoflakes and your graphics and have fun!!!
                            My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Also disagree with #3- if you plan to use a specific ax during a gig, it makes sense to be comfortable on it and rehearse with it so it's a natural extension of you. My own experience has taught me a hard lesson about going into a gig with a guitar that I haven't spent some time on. Especially if it's very different from the ones I use in rehearsals. It was a disaster, botching notes left and right all because of minor but significant differences like scale length, number of frets, neck profile etc.

And speaking of ones, I typically take 3 or 4 axes to a gig, frankly, because I fucking can! And I set them out during our set up and don't put them away until we finish our encore. Ya'll must play some rough joints because I've only ever encountered potential damage to my axes from drunk chicks and dudes, dancing near my rack. That won't last long either. I will fuck someone's shit up if they get too close to my rack o' axes.

Comment

Working...
                              X