No announcement yet.

? for Fender... custom Y2KV an option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for Fender... custom Y2KV an option?

Have you decided if you're going to allow custom orders for this bodystyle?

I'd actually like to get a one hum with a non-recessed floyd. Just wondering if it's possible on a custom basis or not...
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Re: ? for Fender... custom Y2KV an option?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Fender has said no Gibson shapes.

Comment

well, no, they won't do gibson shapes, but the y2kv wasn't necessarily a gibson shape. it was stopped b/c it was a mustaine sig, and they have to pay dave when one is made... i'd say that if anything, that would be what stands in the way.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would think that if there were some modifications to the guitar design, then it would no longer be considered a Y2KV. with the one humbucker as a start, you then could have either the SLS headstock or go with the Jackson pointy headstock and that should be plenty in getting around the Dave issue (assuming that is the problem in the 1st place).
        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Xeno, you might want to look into ordering the original 80s "roundhorn V" body style. Appearance-wise, very similar. Dimensionally, though, I suspect there are some differences from the Y2KV and, if so, these also made it less Gibson-like. I've never seen them side-by-side though, so I don't know for sure. I would think there's a fair argument that it's an original Jackson design and, therefore, hope they would allow it.

Comment

i think the wings are thinner on a y2kv, at least that's how it looks to me... i'd think we'd have less of a chance getting a roundhorn tho, no?

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah Sully, to my eyes the wings do look thinner on a Y2KV. A tad longer, too. And, perhaps, even the V angle is narrower (...although that might be an optical illusion from the longer wings). Hard to tell for sure w/out a side-by-side, though.

IMHO, all of those differences - and more (...no pickguard, headstock, etc.) - make the old roundhorn a unique Jackson design. At the very least, they have a much stronger argument than with the Y2KV.

Another option for Xeno: how about a "dinky" roundhorn V? That'd be cool, and even further distance it from being Gibson-esque. And/or an archtop.

(Yes, as it's probably already showing, I've already given some thought to doing a custom traditional-style V order along these lines. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...Still holding out for stratheads, though. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

[ October 04, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

Well, Fender also said "no Strat headstocks"...

And as for the Y2KV being a Gibson bodystyle, obviously it's far enough from a Gibson that AMIC was never involved with a lawsuit from Gibson.

I don't want a Mustaine Sig, but I do like the basic body shape. I'd get a Y2KV, but his damn name is on the headstock.

Was hoping a Custom order with different layout a possibility. Anyone from Fender care to comment?

Comment

You could always go with Warmoth, if you don't mind a bolt-on neck. I was also thinking of a 24-fret V but with a neck pickup. Here's basically the response I got from Gregg at Warmoth:

You can do one of two things. You can get a 24- fret extension neck and do a 24 fret reposition on the neck pickup rout for the body for $50. Or, you can buy an unadvertised neck that is a 24 ¾” neck with 24 frets; it has a small over hang like our standard 22 fret. Then you pay to have the body short scaled for an extra $50 to go with that neck.
                  The first option gives you a 25 ½ “ scale and the second option gives you a 24 ¾” scale.

[ October 04, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If anything, I'd go with a GMW, but I can imagine that would cost quite a bit.

Comment

I honestly don't think it will happen. My cancelled order was FAR from a standard Y2KV and was still cancelled. My order was for a Y2KV ARCHTOP with a chlorine highly quilted top, white binding around the body, neck and headstock. EMG 89 wired to split in the neck, EMG 81 in the bridge. Strings thru body & Tuneamatic with Sperzel locking tuners w/ebony board and reverse abalone sharkfin inlays w/piranah inlays at the 12th and 24th frets. I had my dealer inquire with Jackson about finishing the order with a diffrent Headstock, changing woods, and anything else I could think of and the answer was no. So don't count on them doing it. Just buy one of Dave's. I'm certainly gonna try.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Offtopic, but I've just got an offer for a Y2KV [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] and I'm not gonna let that guitar go, espesially since it might be one of just a few that have ever crossed the Norwegian border. But I have to sell two of my other guitars to afford it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

you might want to look into ordering the original 80s "roundhorn V" body style. Appearance-wise, very similar
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">is that the V that ive seen Buckethead use?

Comment

Buckethead's is a giant custom V that dwarfs other Vs in size comparison....

Comment

Yeah, only myself and XXX and a couple others would be able to handle it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X