need help identifying a mystery Charvel guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help identifying a mystery Charvel guitar

I recently traded for a heavily modified Charvel guitar. The person I got it from told me that it was made in the USA, though after a lot of investigation, I don't know if both the neck and body were made in the USA or part of the same original guitar. The mods are making it difficult to identify. I've spent about 6-8 hours trying to figure it out, but it's still a mystery to me. Here is a list of notes:

1. The guitar is at least 5 years old. The person I purchased it from bought it from someone who had it for 5 years (but bought it used, hence "at least 5 years").
    2. The neck/headstock is nicely flamed maple with a rosewood fingerboard (no skunk stripe). It definitely does not look like a photo-flame given the natural grain and wood marks that I can see in the wood and the changing of shape in different angles/light. No hamburgler or "perfectly" even flame either.
    3. Frets look to be jumbo-ish size, relatively flat radius, 22 frets.
    4. Fret dots look to be mother of pearl. The spacing of dots at the 12th fret appears to be normal.
    5. The neck was refinished by the person I bought it from (well, he paid someone to do it professionally). Gloss back of neck and headstock now (sanded back prior to refinish, so don't know what the original back of neck finish was like). Original logo removed and replaced with a completely different non-Charvel one. Tuners were originally black (likely non-locking), but now are Schaller locking tuners. I think I can see a tiny bit of one of the original screw holes for the high e tuner in the back of the headstock. No marks on the front of the headstock from a string tree or floyd rose nut. Either the person who refinished it did an amazing job filling the holes and matching to grain or it didn't have any to begin with. I'm thinking the latter because of the fact that at least one tuner hole was not filled in and the look on the front is natural (not filled).
    6. No truss rod mark or access at the headstock. The truss rod nut is at the end of the neck (screw-like nut). There is a clear engraving of the letter J and sideways P.
    7. The nut has been replaced with a different one (by the previous owner), but it doesn't appear the original one was a Floyd rose nut, particularly since the new one is a drop in replacement.
    8. The rosewood fingerboard has a little bit of overhang. This seems to rule out some of the aftermarket necks (in case it was swapped out).
    9. There are no absolutely no stamps on the neck. This also seems to rule out some of the aftermarket necks (again, in case it was swapped out).
    10. The headstock shape looks like a Fender-Charvel shape, i.e. not pointy.
    11. Originally had a Charvel USA neck plate, but now it's a completely different non-Charvel one. Unfortunately, the original one is gone. The previous person knows it did at least look like a Charvel neck plate (i.e. he may have misread it as Charvel USA due to "USA" in the address, when it may have been actually made in Japan in smaller letters).
    12. The body has been refinished in orange metallic and is San Dimas HS style. The body was originally orange anyway, though with a finer grain metallic color.
    13. The bridge has been routed and upgraded to a 2TEC bridge. It was originally a hardtail bridge (obviously so because there isn't a giant hole where Floyd/trem hardware would normally be).
    14. The pickups have been upgraded to a Tom Holmes Handwound PAF humbucker in the bridge (verified) and a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Strat in the neck. Originals are gone.
    15. There are no stamps in the neck pocket I can make out except a "1" and a "9" in black.
    16. The case is an old fender style rectangular case. It's got dark-ish pink lining inside.

Consolidated folder of pics:
    Last edited by om14; 04-15-2016, 07:43 PM. Reason: added straight on back pic

need more pics but from the few you sent I think you may have been had.

Comment

If you didn't pay a USA made price & it plays/sounds good, I wouldn't stress over it.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
        need more pics but from the few you sent I think you may have been had.
        +1 more pictures.

Comment

Added 29 new pics.

Has anybody ever seen the etched letter "J" and (sideways) "P" on any neck heel (even non-Charvel)? It's a very distinctive mark.

On a side note, the guitar sounds great and is comfortable to hold (7.5 lbs).

Comment

Not a Charvel neck.
            12 fret spacing is wider than normal and the head stock is too big.
            Looks more like an aftermarket Fender knock off neck.
            Body looks like it descent aftermarket body.
            The neck pocket is to clean for a Charvel. There's almost always some kind of markings in there, even on the imports.
            -Rick

Comment

Don't know what the neck is... I don't think I've ever seen a Charvel with that bridge. There's nothing in the neck pocket... maybe a repro body, I dunno, a better shot of the back straight on? If it were an original Charvel body, it would probably have been cut for a Kahler, v-trem or a Floyd. Hardtail or string thru would be pretty rare... look for signs that something has been filled... Probably not a Charvel body either. I dunno, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

EDIT: LOL apparently I started typing this over 20 minutes ago... SJ won and was paying more attention to the post game stuff.

I'd have to agree, I don't think there's anything Charvel about it. FWIW, the headstock shape and no skunk stripe = not Charvel. Some of the import strathead necks didn't have a skunk stripe but the older ones had a true Charvel SD headstock profile and the newer ones have the Fender profile.
              Last edited by xenophobe; 04-15-2016, 01:05 AM.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Not a Charvel neck.
                12 fret spacing is wider than normal and the head stock is too big.
                Looks more like an aftermarket Fender knock off neck.
                Body looks like it descent aftermarket body.
                The neck pocket is to clean for a Charvel. There's almost always some kind of markings in there, even on the imports.
                Yeah, I've not been able to find any match of the neck to a Charvel neck (or any other neck for that matter). It's nice (flame maple, mother of pearl, decent grain/density rosewood) and maybe it's a USA made neck, but not a Charvel. I'd still like to figure who made the neck/where it came from.

As for the body, the neck pocket is somewhat scratched/sanded, which is why it looks clean. It's possible that this needed to be done when it was put together with an aftermarket neck. There are marks in the neck pocket, but the only marks I could make out are a faded "1" and a "9", part of some sort of stamp. It's decent quality-- great (re-)finish, medium weight (alder?) wood, shielded cavity, brushed metal cover, high quality components and parts. I'm still not sure whether it's a Charvel or not, though.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  I don't think I've ever seen a Charvel with that bridge. There's nothing in the neck pocket... maybe a repro body, I dunno, a better shot of the back straight on? If it were an original Charvel body, it would probably have been cut for a Kahler, v-trem or a Floyd. Hardtail or string thru would be pretty rare... look for signs that something has been filled...
                  The 2TEK bridge is a mod/upgrade (Ron Thorn uses them sometimes and Warmoth also sells them new). The trader said it was originally a fixed bridge (not sure if it was a hardtail or string thru) before he had the 2TEK installed for him. It definitely isn't filled-- in fact, just the opposite, I can tell that wood was routed (relatively cleanly) in order for the new bridge to be installed.

Comment

Then I'd say it's not a CJ body at all.

Comment

The more I look at the body, the more I think it could be a modified Pro Mod body.
                      The tummy cut and rear electronics route look right.
                      After zooming in on the neck pocket, it looks like it was routed and expanded to support the aftermarket neck.
                      -Rick

Comment

The more I look at the body, the more I think it could be a modified Pro Mod body.
                        After zooming in on the neck pocket, it looks like it was routed and expanded to support the aftermarket neck.
                        Yeah, the cut and route look ok, but that's why I said a straight on shot of the rear might help. And they did make some string thru hardtails, so if one of those bodies could have been modded. But isn't there a company that replicates both fairly well?

Either way, even if it is a factory Charvel or Jackson body, it doesn't have any extra or special value... too many mods.

Comment

Yeah, the first thing I thought about the body was that it could be a Charvel USA San Dimas Pro Mod HS HT body. This (and the hard case) at least matches some pics of Charvel guitar sales I've researched. The guitar is at least 5 years old which I think falls around the time of USA to Japan changeover. Were there any HT USA or Japan Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod guitars in that timeframe?

Comment

Originally posted by om14 View Post
                            Yeah, the first thing I thought about the body was that it could be a Charvel USA San Dimas Pro Mod HS HT body. This (and the hard case) at least matches some pics of Charvel guitar sales I've researched. The guitar is at least 5 years old which I think falls around the time of USA to Japan changeover. Were there any HT USA or Japan Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod guitars in that timeframe?
                            Definitely not a USA Pro Mod body.
                            Electronics route and cover are wrong. I don't recall them ever making an HT version either.
                            More likely early MIJ Pro Mod body. That's when all the H/S HT started showing up.
                            -Rick

Comment

question is, what did you trade him for this?

Comment

Working...
                              X