Jackson Kelly Standard - need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Kelly Standard - need info

today i had my heart ripped from my chest... a few years ago (pre Fender buyout) i emailed Jackson about my Kelly Std.

stupid me, did not keep the email conversation...

basically i could not look up my serial number at the time and the Jackson employee confirmed mine as USA built and even gave September 1984 as the time.

so this week i've considered selling my pride and joy, and discover the serial number points more to a 1990 Japan build. also the "professional" on the headstock points to it being an "import"

i emailed Jackson the other day, and they were super helpful.... NOT, here's the reply... "As much as I'd like to help, I unfortunately won't be able to locate that serial number as we acquired Jackson in 2002 but did not inherit any prior serial number records. I wish I could be of more help!"

so if anyone can shed some light, and even a possible value on this one, i'd be forever grateful, thanks

Yes that is made in Japan in the 90's

Comment

Contacting Fender USA for information on a pre-2002 Charvel/Jackson is a complete waste of time. #1. They DO have all the records for USA production so they are lying. #2. Customer Service at Fender USA doesn't know what the difference is between a neck-thru USA Jackson and a bolt-on Japanese/Indian/Indonesian import.

That one is a mid-90's Japanese model.

Comment

The customer service is a joke. Very occasionally people will get accurate info on imports, but oftentimes it's no reply or a laughable response like the OP received.

Those stickered J0xxxxx were a mid-'90s thing. They aren't date-coded to my knowledge.

Best I could do was say '94-6. Perhaps the neck pocket contains date stamps? I'd be very curious to check the stamps.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

thanks guys, i'll pull the neck off when i do the next re-string and see what's in there too.

Comment

Why sell your pride and joy?! Keep it man

Comment

I had a Kelly Standard as my first Jackson in the early '90s. I think they only went for about $500 brand new, from what I recall, so not really worth too much.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

what color are the pickup frames? copper/goldish or silver/grey

Comment

the pickups i got with it were a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge and i forget what (some PoS pickup) was in the neck, i assumed it would have originally come with Duncan JB/59 combo... currently has BKP Painkillers

Comment

Originally posted by bub_smuth View Post
                    the pickups i got with it were a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge and i forget what (some PoS pickup) was in the neck, i assumed it would have originally come with Duncan JB/59 combo... currently has BKP Painkillers
                    No, the Kelly Standard came with Jackson pickups, but I can't remember which ones offhand.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The reason you were originally told it was a Sept. '84 USA was because of the "J" serial. But USA's only have 4 numbers after the "J", so he was incorrect in the look up...
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                      X