"Dinky" is a horrible name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dinky" is a horrible name.

I've always thought "Dinky" was a horrible name. As a kid, our playground name for our private parts was "dink".

The definition of "dinky" on Dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/dinky?s=t) is:

Informal. small, unimportant, unimpressive, or shabby:
    We stayed in a dinky old hotel.
    Yes, I am aware it was originally "Dinky Strat" to denote the fact that this new (at the time) superstrat shape was 7/8ths the size of a Strat body. But couldn't they think of another name to denote the slimmed-down, refined shape? While smaller, the Dinky guitar is not necessarily informal, unimportant, unimpressive, nor shabby.

At least the other original shapes were named after (or were a nod to) significant persons: Rhoads, Double Rhoads, King V, and Kelly. The Warrior (which came later) and the Soloist are cool and appropriate names.

Guess it's too late and we're stuck with it, the same way Leo Fender called his vibrato bridge a "tremolo" system, and the tremolo circuit on his amps "vibrato" effect.

+1
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

The silliest name possible. I won't mention the model unless someone asks.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I prefer Super Strat, since that's what they are.
        Using the name "Super Strat" could have had legal implications with Fender.
        -Rick

Comment

Midget strat. lol
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Rock out with your Dinky out! LOL

Come on, man - nothing is more rock and roll than naming your instrument after the male member. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Rock out with your Dinky out! LOL

Come on, man - nothing is more rock and roll than naming your instrument after the male member. LOL
              bring on the cock dragon quotes

Comment

you mad bro?
                lol

Comment

Dinky dragon? LOL

Comment

If you grew up in the late 70's early 80's Dinky meant small, scaled down, not full size. It was a nick name for these guitars, but it stuck. So that's what it is. Now years later people think it means different things, but that's how it was back then. Sort of like saying something is "groovy" which sounds so dated in 2016 but was common 40 years ago...
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I might have been less mad if they called it the Groovycaster.

Comment

what about 7/8ths as thats what it is.

Comment

the saying goes: do you have a dinky do or a dinky don't? does your dinky stick out further than your belly?

Comment

7/8ths is a myth, it's not that downsized in reality. It's more about the squared off edges and proportions vs. a strat body.

Comment

The name never really bothered me as it's reputation and it's performance (in my experience) have been great. I actually prefer the DK1's over the Soloists and the traditional Strat shapes.
                              Here's my fave from 5 years ago:

Comment

Working...
                              X