No announcement yet.

"Dinky" is a horrible name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought of it as referring to small or insignificant compared to the Soloist. Like a step below.

Although, sometimes for me the connotative meaning for names of things fades away. An example would be the Warrior. Initially one could think of some fierce armour clad swordsman but gradually just begins to associate the word with a pointy guitar. Similar to how I see the Dinky now. Dinky just means that one Strat shaped guitar made by Jackson with a bolt on neck.

I notice this with band names. You become desensitized to the connotative meaning and just think of the actual band. Always makes me laugh to think of people who over hear the conversations. "Rotting Christ's new album is amazing." "Have you listened to the new Cattle Decapitation album? I love the opening track Manufactured Extinct." Other people. ->
    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the name dinky.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

The definition of "dinky" on Dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/dinky?s=t) is:

While smaller, the Dinky guitar is not necessarily informal, unimportant, unimpressive, nor shabby.

"Informal" is not one of the definitions. The word is there to denote an Informal definition.

Back when it was conceived, "Dinky" meant "small". Since it was a smaller version of the Strat body, and in fact the original was called a Dinky Strat, and even had Strat contours and rounded edges. Maybe they should've kept going down with it until they hit what eventually became the Hello Kitty-sized.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

so would soloist reduced be better?

I seem to recall a few different dinky shapes though. some have pointer horns than others.

Comment

Dinky shapes should all be the same unless you're comparing certain 22 vs 24 fret models.
            Such as these...

[IMG][/IMG]
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

yea my san dimas 22 fret has smaller horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                Dinky shapes should all be the same unless you're comparing certain 22 vs 24 fret models.
                Such as these...

[IMG][/IMG]
                You know, I've never liked the shape of the toothpaste logoed Charvel Dinkies. Could never put my finger on just why and thought maybe they'd altered the waist of the guitar or something when they designed that line? But you've just illustrated my problem with them beautifully. Turns out I don't like 22 fret Dinky bodies. The 24 fret version just looks so much better proportionally to me, with the deeper cutaways/longer horns
                Hail yesterday

Comment

^I agree.^
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

the 22 fret at least looks like a dinky, others look like soloist with a back plate

Comment

Warranty card on my '86 says Dinky Strat ..I just call her Lina

Last edited by len; 04-29-2016, 09:48 PM.
                      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

wanna see my dinky?
                        Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X