Does anyone remember when...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AIC70 View Post
    What amazes me is that those valuation questions ALWAYS get answered. Why?!
    I used to post a picture of Dr. Evil "One Million Dollars" or whatever the quote was when people would ask. I think it's kind of a sh*t way to also skirt the fact that you have to pay to post a for sale add here. "Hey how much is this guitar I want to sell" and just like that everyone knows they're selling the guitar, I'm sure more then one person has sold stuff on here that way. Someone used to tell them to list it on Ebay and they'd find out what it's worth real quick. Dunno, that's why I would never be a good mod, soon as I saw one of those posts they'd be banned. It's just bullshit. It's one thing to ask for actual information about a guitar, but it's for sale value, nah.. not cool.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Blaming the internet is kind of lame. Look at SevenString.org. There are more Jackson fans there than there are here.

Because that place has been actively administrated...
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've long thought that those "what's my guitar worth?" threads just need their own forum folder. Some are legit newbies who are looking for help, some are attempts to skirt the classified rules, and others are just "I'm too lazy or stupid to look up completed listings on ebay". In any event, many forum members find them annoying.

Those threads seem to spam-up every folder on the forum. And they've seemed to become more numerous in recent years as the classifieds became paid-only and regular forum posting volumes dropped off significantly. So force them into a dedicated folder - people who want to be helpful could continue to do so, and others can just ignore that particular folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Pardon me for wondering, but am I allowed to ask what this is in reference to? If you cannot disclose, I respect that and won't ask again. I remember Vince though.
          Just google "Vince Sansevere" and you'll be spending days reading all the Forum posts about this guy all over the internet. He's a known psychopathic liar, scammer and thief. He even stole equipment directly from Jackson while pretending to be Dave Mustaine's tech. He has been in and out of jail multiple times for impersonating a police officer, theft, etc. etc. etc. Hell, one time back in the early 00's I got a phone call from Kevin Easton at the Jackson Mother Ship in Ft. Worth(when Kevin worked there) asking for me to watch out for Vince and let him know if we see Vince pop up or posting anywhere. He had just somehow stolen some Jackson/AMIC equipment while pretending to work for Megadeth.

Comment

Yes, it was a reference to Vince

Comment

I'm aware of Vince's history of being a fraud. It really shocked us back then because he fooled us for a long time. I was mostly asking about those cryptic humorous references to pseudo kung fu moves.

Comment

Vince with his BRICK like FISTS!!!

Comment

Vince isn't the reason why the board isn't thriving like it used to.

Comment

With all of the really stupid crap happening these days, getting pissed off at some newbie for wanting our opinions on their guitar's value shouldn't be a big deal. Heck, someone might show up one day and have something nice you might wanna buy from them. lol

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                      Vince isn't the reason why the board isn't thriving like it used to.

But neither is the level of administration
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        I blame the internet.
                        ...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          Blaming the internet is kind of lame. Look at SevenString.org. There are more Jackson fans there than there are here.

Because that place has been actively administrated...
                          It was a joke, kinda. I blame the internet actually having more interesting sites to visit, like titty sites, Failbook, etc.

Back when there was information to share with people who were interested, yes, the JCF was THE place to come for that information. When it turned into "use the Search function, n00b, that question was answered 2 years ago you fucking fuckstick go back to playing your fucking Ibenhad you fucking piece of shit shitfucker fucktard!", new members didn't exactly feel welcome. Yes, it's fucking annoying when all they do is come here to ask "how much for this particular made in Japan before the Fender buyout model I have not seen in an Ebay completed listing spanning the last 6 months and all I have to compare it to are the newer Indonesian, Korean, Chinese, and Mexican models", because it's basically saying "I have a Japanese Jackson for sale".

However, it's certainly stupid when you ask the value of a guitar that came out last year and was discontinued this year. Unless it says "Made In USA" and/or "Custom Shop" on it, from the factory, it's worth about half what you overpaid for it if it's mint.

If this is truly a problem, there might be a setting in the board software that does not allow new members to receive PMs except from Admins, that way they can "advertise" all they want but they'll never get a reply other than "take it to Ebay or Reverb and find out".

As well, since so many people are so fucking whiny about PayPal's paltry $3 fee out of every $100, and EBay's duly-earned cut for doing all the work it took for you to sell your guitar, "everyone" is taking their business to Reverb, which is still a bit too small and a bit too unproven by comparison, and nobody wants to spend all fucking day listing the same guitar all over the internet trying to get a better price than what GC will give, and dealing with the low-ball "poor college student" and "the economy sucks so bad I can't pay full price for LUXURY ITEMS like this", or the potentially-newsworthy risk of Craigslisting to locals.

Another reason for the decline: "Look at my new guitar!" threads from new users showing off the import they're proud of being squashed by someone who replies with a "big deal, fuck you you fucking fuck I have Custom Shop models that kick that import POS's ass you piece of shit". I admit, those threads are not impressive to me in the least, but at least I don't turn their thread into a bigger-dick contest.

Additionally, there's somewhat of a gap between the old 80s Hair Metal Jackson Pre-Pro guys and the ones who only know and care about the brand since FMIC took over, so when you post that sweet Jailhouse Strat Custom the new guys laugh and yawn, but when some n00b posts yet another all-black Jackson, it's just another Gawth with his blacker-than-black shit that's been going around since 1964.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              It was a joke, kinda. I blame the internet actually having more interesting sites to visit, like titty sites, Failbook, etc.

Back when there was information to share with people who were interested, yes, the JCF was THE place to come for that information. When it turned into "use the Search function, n00b, that question was answered 2 years ago you fucking fuckstick go back to playing your fucking Ibenhad you fucking piece of shit shitfucker fucktard!",
                              I don't disagree with any of that, but the moderation and administration are ultimately responsible for the way they've administered and moderated. This forum used to be patrolled with an Iron Fist. Moderation was done for personal reasons, not for the sake of neutral monitoring and there used to be regular complaints about that.

And the pay for classifieds is a rule that is partly responsible for much of that trolling pointing out that it wasn't welcome here unless you were a paid member. There are plenty of ways to build a community, that rule and the way it was selectively enforced or self policed had a lot to do with that too. Ultimately it was the fault of a site rule that wasn't properly moderated.

The whole Charvel vs Jackson collectors, or the whole World War Pre-Pro divided the site spitefully contributed greatly as well, but that could have been overcome, but by the time people started to forgive people, this site had already been mostly abandoned.

MOAIP drew a lot of traffic.

But the biggest detriment to this site is that it's not mobile phone compatible. iTrader is another plugin that should have been dealt with. A minimum post or time-frame for classifieds would have also helped traffic and would have helped keep users posting and contributing.

But people have been pushed away from here for many different reasons, all which could have been fixed with proper moderation and administration. Seriously, almost nothing has changed here in over a decade. If you look at any forum with any sizeable active user base, staff are always doing things to improve the site.

We're still on vanilla vBulletin after the custom icons got deleted. This site is less personalized than it was in 2002, it's only gone backwards this whole time, so if there are any wonders why only old timers post here is because that's a direct result of how much attention this site has received from admin.

Comment

I've seen this a few times just since I have been here.... "it's worth about half what you overpaid for it if it's mint."
                                \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Working...
                                X