Neck size profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck size profile

I have some guitars that have a neck profile I love (ProMod, SL2H, M6's, Gibson USA 60s or slightly fatter), and some I don't (My 2 USA SG's (1998 and 2012), 550XL, MM5FX, Sam Ash "SL2H" archtop, DK2's, R8).

For now I live with it, but sometimes I'm tempted to get those fatter necks shaved.

Has anyone shaved or had a neck shaved?

Do you just get rid of guitars that you don't like the neck profile?

Thanks,

Don

Originally posted by DonP View Post
    I have some guitars that have a neck profile I love (ProMod, SL2H, M6's, Gibson USA 60s or slightly fatter), and some I don't (My 2 USA SG's (1998 and 2012), 550XL, MM5FX, Sam Ash "SL2H" archtop, DK2's, R8).

For now I live with it, but sometimes I'm tempted to get those fatter necks shaved.

Has anyone shaved or had a neck shaved?

Do you just get rid of guitars that you don't like the neck profile?

Thanks,

Don
    Confronted with those choices I'd get rid of it. I have a LP Studio I got back in 1992 that is a sentimental keeper that has a ball bat for a neck. I'll pick up a LP Classic or whatever if I need an LP. I just won't buy a guitar with the description "chunky" or "nice fat" or whatever applied to the neck.

Shaving it you'll be stuck with it probably. Unless the guitar has so many other qualities that makes it a must-keep I'd ditch it. Necks are at the same time the most important and most difficult to change aspects of a guitar. Everything else can be both more easily lived with and more easily changed.

Comment

Exactly the opposite for me...love FAT necks...have sold many great guitars w/wide/thin profiles...after the honeymoon was over they just sat in their cases...being a metalhead that loves pointy metal guitars but prefers FAT necks sux...arse...

IMO sell the guitars you don't dig & replace them w/necks you do

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
        Exactly the opposite for me...love FAT necks...have sold many great guitars w/wide/thin profiles...after the honeymoon was over they just sat in their cases...being a metalhead that loves pointy metal guitars but prefers FAT necks sux...arse...

IMO sell the guitars you don't dig & replace them w/necks you do
        Sounds like you two could set up an exchange!

Comment

Working...
        X