Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropping a Floyd Pro in my Charvel 750XL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping a Floyd Pro in my Charvel 750XL?

My Charvel has a recessed Schaeller Floyd Rose on it. The string locks are starting to jam up on it, making it a ***** to restring. I figure instead of buying 6 new saddles and spending like $80 for that, I could just buy a new bridge. I'd like to get the floyd pro because it would give my hand a lot more picking room [The fine tuners on the OFR kind of cramp my hand too close to my picking spot.]

Can I buy a FR Pro and just drop it in without rerouting? Has anyone here ever done this?

Re: Dropping a Floyd Pro in my Charvel 750XL?

for real, pete benson of "the noise" used to take his floyd off and boil it in motor oil right there on the stove. he swears by it. but it will ruin a pot so if you go that route, save the pot for next time so you don't ruin another one. BTW you'll need a pair of tongs.
    ~JW
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If the string blocks are starting to jam up, take it apart and fully clean it.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The string blocks can also be jamming up due to the blocks physically widening apart perpendicular to the string. I've seen this happen over time with the constant pressure of the lock screws, possibly overtightened, sandwiching the block against the string. The block's got no where to go but bulge in the middle causing them to jam. If it's real bad, cleaning/oiling them will not help them to smoothly move. Just get a new set of blocks. I've bought an Allparts set of 6 for about $6.

As for the Floyd Pro, it still may not fit in the recessed cavity without routing the cavity deeper. The Pro need a super deep cavity compared to a traditional schaller one. I put a Floyd Pro on a Rhoads body with a recessed cavity and the whole trem needed to be raised up to a non-recessed height for the trem to properly clear underneath. I actually planned on raising it up in this case cos I prefer the trem in the nonrecessed position and I do like the Pro's finer tuners being further out of the way.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Recessed? I thought all floyded 750XL's were top-mounted?
          [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Stick with the Schaller - it's better than the Pro (imo). Mine has given me years of 'stays in tune for months' service - with the exception of those pain in the ass, 'get lost in your carpet', 'crack at the worst possible time' blocks..
          [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Replacing the blocks is a 5 minute job, 15 if you clean the saddles. Replacing the entire unit will take a bit longer, plus you would need to reintonate from scratch.

I get more life outta my blocks by gently sanding the gack off once a year.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

You should be able to drop it in with no problem. But it sounds like you're throwing the baby out with the bath water. You'll spend more than 80 on a floyd pro (unless you go with a licensed version) Seems that all your current tremolo needs is to be pulled apart and cleaned.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

What Tekky said. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

The Schaller also has shorter string lock screws, and I'm sure the spring block isn't the same size on a floyd pro... dunno though.

The Schaller is better than the Original Floyds in my opinion. I'd just clean it, get new blocks, and keep using it.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

yeah 750XL's have a carved maple top with a top mounted trem. Not recessed. Unless yours has been altered. The Schaller trem is better and smaller. Just clean it lube it and reinstall it.
                  Gil

Comment

Some (not mine) 750's also have a largely unnecessary recess under the 590 Schaller Floyd. The trem is still top mounted but there is a cutaway underneath it. It won't affect which trem you choose to use on it, be it another 590, OFR or OFR Pro.

Comment

Working...
                    X