SH-6/TB-6 Duncan Distortion VS. PA-TB2 Distortion Trembucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SH-6/TB-6 Duncan Distortion VS. PA-TB2 Distortion Trembucker

OK here's how I think the F-spacing came about.

Somebody was looking at his humbucker equipped strat and noticed how the polepieces don't line up like the strat pickups do. And he figured if he slanted the humbucker a bit he could get things to line up a bit better. He tried it and noticed that it did sound diffrent (more lowend, works just like the stock strat bridge pickup) and liked it better. But because he was thinking about the polepieces he attributed the better sound to the alignment.

Next some superstar player slants his pickup (EVH?) and we guitarists being the lemmings that we are started copying him and the guitar company's noticed the trend and started making slanted hum guitars.

Not wanting to miss the bandwagon the pickup company's started making "F spaced" humbuckers for those who didn't have slanted hum guitars. These pickups are a hair wider and thus have a hair more wire wound on them so they sound a hair diffrent. They are promoted as sounding better because of the spacing, so when Joe guitar player puts them in his guitar notices a slightly diffrent sound and decides it's "better".

Well that's what I think happened. Me, I like the sound of my SH-6 Distortion and don't care if the polepieces may be a bit off.

[ November 22, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

Working...
    X