Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me pick out a cheap guitar for 80s hair metal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick out a cheap guitar for 80s hair metal!

When you guys think of 80s metal...Ratt, Dokken etc what do you guys instantly think of for their guitars? I'm looking to get a shredder for strictly this type of music. I'm not trying to drop 1000 bucks for a Charvel San Dimas. Let me know what ya got in mind! I honestly am trying to stay under 250 or 300. This is gonna be my Christmas present from my wife and that's the amount we agreed on. I've been thinking of the JS32 Dinky but I hear mixed things about them. I also have been offered a DK2. Im also open to used guitars too so that's not an issue

In Canada, a used Japanese Jackson Pro Series guitar (such as the DK2 you mentioned) is fairly common on the classifieds sites for what amounts to USD$300 or under. Same with some of the used Japanese Charvel Model Series guitars. Unfortunately I can't speculate about prices and abundance in the USA...

Comment

A Kelly is pretty '80s in my opinion. Probably pick up a used KE3 in the $3-400 range or a used JS series for half that.

They're oftentimes a tad neck heavy from my experience, though.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by JS122615 View Post
        When you guys think of 80s metal...Ratt, Dokken etc what do you guys instantly think of for their guitars? I'm looking to get a shredder for strictly this type of music. I'm not trying to drop 1000 bucks for a Charvel San Dimas. Let me know what ya got in mind! I honestly am trying to stay under 250 or 300. This is gonna be my Christmas present from my wife and that's the amount we agreed on. I've been thinking of the JS32 Dinky but I hear mixed things about them. I also have been offered a DK2. Im also open to used guitars too so that's not an issue
        Any strat body or V are the two that come to mind for that style of music.
        \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I have the chance to buy a 2007 MIJ DK2 for 300...is good deal?

Comment

Yup, good deal. A 2007 would have black hardware and Seymour Duncans from factory. A pre-'06 would have chrome hardware and Duncan Designed pups from factory. I mention this in case someone was guessing at the year, which happens a lot.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

There are plenty of cheap Kramer Stagemasters out there, and those are 80's as fuck

Comment

Peavey Mantis

Comment

The JS32's are pretty good, IMO, if you are looking at new. I don't think you can do better for the price.

Comment

Working...
                  X