Question re: Jackson Floyd copies over the years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: Jackson Floyd copies over the years

OK guys, I need someone to enlighten me as to what the various Jackson-branded Floyd copies have been over the years. I'm really only familiar with the JT580LP that came on the USA RR2/DR2/SL2 series and the Schaller model(s) on the mid-90s imports. I'm going to take my first shot at building a project guitar over the winter, with a Stealth body and neck, and need to figure out which trem model is which. I'm going to go with whatever is most affordable (read "cheap") to begin with, to make sure I know what I'm doing. As soon as I install the trem, I will be blocking it anyway, so I'm not concerned with how long it would hold up after whammy use.

What were the specific problems with the trems on the Performer, low-end Charvel imports, X-series and so on? I am only familiar with JT500 as far as the low-end import trems, and I've seen that listed as both single- and double-locking.
    sigpic

Re: Question re: Jackson Floyd copies over the years

There were a couple of really good threads. Maybe you should try doing a search.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Ina, here's one (posted by yours truly):

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...c;f=7;t=001028

Good Luck!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, I had done a search already. For every type of trem, there are folks who have their own reasons for disliking it, but most answers were "it sucks" or "get an OFR", which doesn't help much.

If anyone has experience with the 390 or 500 trems, and has specific details about either, that is what I seek. The only comment I've found to be of much use is that the trem arm assembly and knife edges aren't as durable, but I will be doing a complete block of the trem and won't use the bar at all.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone:
          Well, I had done a search already. For every type of trem, there are folks who have their own reasons for disliking it, but most answers were "it sucks" or "get an OFR", which doesn't help much.

If anyone has experience with the 390 or 500 trems, and has specific details about either, that is what I seek. The only comment I've found to be of much use is that the trem arm assembly and knife edges aren't as durable, but I will be doing a complete block of the trem and won't use the bar at all.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, I think the comment on the JT500 may be mine, or at least resembles mine. The trem arm assembly is really weak: OK, admit I abused it more or less, but not to the extend it should snap, which it did. I know nothing about the 390.

hope this helps (but I didn't tell you anything you havent read yet [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Harrald

Comment

The 390 is a string-through bridge dude! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

edit: i can't spell [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[ October 12, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Thoraby ]

Comment

Well, whichever there was prior to the JT500...maybe 590? I didn't think the 500 was around yet when the Performers were in production, but not sure.
              sigpic

Comment

My PS-4 performer has the JT-500 trem. It is double locking. The arm assembly is a bit weak, though this probably won't matter to you if you block it completely. The JT-500 arm itself is threaded and you have to screw it in the housing. There is a lot of "wiggle" in the arm. Very subtle tremolo work was close to impossible with my setup.

I replaced the bar and housing with a unit similar to what is on the JT-580. Works much better.

DRH

Comment

There was this trem on an old Randy Rhoads EX Pro I had, and it was one of the Japanese Licensed floyds, and I tell you what, if I could find THAT guitar, and THAT bridge again, I would buy it in a heartbeat, not another one, the one I had.

Something about that trem was sweet, good all around, but then again it may not help because I did play 2 other Rhoads Pros and they didnt feel as nice in the trem area. (if that makes any sense.)

Maybe look for an older schaller if it will work for your porject.

Comment

Working...
                  X