Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know if a Jackson JS32 Archtop Dinky will fit an Original Floyd Rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know if a Jackson JS32 Archtop Dinky will fit an Original Floyd Rose?

The JS32 was bought just a month ago. Will the licensed FR trem on it be able to be switched with an OFR?

If it's a JT580LP, then an OFR should fit.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The chrome JT580LP would've been used on the older, Indian made JS series. This new generation JS with black hardware is said to use the FR Special. I can't confirm that, but I've read many comments suggesting it's the Special.

I know of people who've put an Original Floyd in a FR Special route, but I'd recommend getting more opinions since tremolos aren't my thing.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The Floyd Special has a slightly different base plate than an Original but if your changing out the Special for an Original you should have no issue it's only if for some reason you want to replace an Original with a Special that the larger Special plate might be problematic and only then if it's a recess rout.

Comment

If it truly is a Floyd Rose Special, it has zinc alloy saddles and a zinc alloy sustain block. The Original Floyd Rose has steel saddles and a brass sustain block. Simply switching the saddles and sustain block on the Special would essentially give you a fully-functioning "Original". Dimensions are identical between the Special and Original.

Not sure if swapping these parts is cheaper than buying a whole Original, but something to consider if you want to do your research.

Comment

Alright, does anyone know what locking nut size it uses?

Comment

Probably R3, but a locking nut is a locking nut. It ether works or it doesn't.

You'll find that the OFR nut is taller than the Jackson one and modification to the guitar might be necessary.

Comment

Jacksons typically have 1-11/16" (1.6875" or 42.8 mm) nut widths.

The Floyd Rose R3 and R4 locking nuts fit the 1-11/16" shelf, but the R3 has narrower "actual string spacing" while the R4 is wider. If you don't like the feel of the spacing of one, try the other.
                Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know what size sustain block it uses? I'll go with the R3 nut.
                  Last edited by CannedBullets; 12-21-2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Likely 32mm which is the typical sustain block length for fully-recessed Floyds.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      Likely 32mm which is the typical sustain block length for fully-recessed Floyds.
                      Yep that's what the sustain block currently on it says too.

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X