Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why unfinished neck on RR Pro, RR5, etc????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why unfinished neck on RR Pro, RR5, etc????

I had been looking to buy a new pro series Randy Rhoads model only to see the current neck-thru models have un-painted satin finished necks. WTF????? I've discussed this with other Jackson guitar fans of the RR models and they agree with me that for the most part, it is very unappealing and not very traditional with the RR design. When this feature first appeared a few years ago, I thought it was a passing thing...only to see that it has persisted up to now. I'm constantly looking for one of the black RR5's from the last Japan production run (which also featured white binding...in the years previous, there was no binding at all). Apparently, this was also the last year of the painted finished necks on the neck-thru models.
    This unpainted satin finish on neck-thru RR's is sooooo uncool and soooo undesireable and downright ugly and I'm only one of many who have questioned this...so, I ask...why is this feature so prevalent on the neck-thru RR models? If I wanted an unpainted satin finish on an RR model, it'd be on a bolt-on where it belongs....
    Last edited by LynchTechHead1; 01-25-2017, 03:32 AM.

Yeah, sounds a little odd. That being said, I do have a neck-thru Jackson CS Star that has an unpainted, satin finished neck and I love it. I guess the difference is, RR's have traditionally had painted necks.

Comment

I much prefer the feel of the neck wood when I am playing, maybe an oiled neck or a very light matte finish so this new "trend" suits me fine.

I'd prefer if they were still made in Japan of course

If you look at a lot of "artist" signatures you can see that they have unpainted necks and whenever they get asked why they often say "drag of painted necks slows you down and hampers playing when you are o stage" and I've experienced this. Most of the guitars I play out with have unpainted / unfinished necks, they just play better in "out" situations for me.

Comment

Yeah, it's a case of performance trumps appearance. I've heard a lot of dislike for painted necks.
        I don't mind either, personally.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

How exactly is it "unfinished"?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not a fan of painted necks. Grew up on a strat with a satin finish and that's probably why.

There are tons of RR out there with painted necks. I never really thought of RR generally as having so much of a "classic" look outside of 2 hums and the shape. The RRTMG had tempted me specifically because of the neck finish- and I have USA RR & Pro's already.

Different strokes I guess. Other than looks I can't think of a reason to paint a neck. Maybe some folks prefer the feel but I typically hear people coming down on the other side.

Comment

I picked up my Japanese Charvel Pro-Mod last night for a quick strum and the neck was ... sexual ... it's that good.

Strip that neck! Get it nekkid! (LOL) I need to grow up.

Comment

I prefer a wood neck. I do not like the thick varnish that they put on some of the "unfinished" necks.
                I also think the way they do it on neck thru's look horrible. Especially where the finish meets the unfinished.

As to the "why" do they do that...
                I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they are no longer actual neck thru's. The paint seems to cover the bottom half, while leaving the neck unfinished.

Comment

Working...
                X