Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

Everytime I pick up my guitar after it has been sitting for over 5mins i hear a click, I think its the truss rod. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Re: Is this normal?

If it's a bolt on, probably just a little tight in the neck pocket and due some extra humidity the wood had expanded a little (have this happen all the time to guitars in my basement) - if it's a neck-thru I don't know what to tell you. If my answer is [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] someone please give the real reason --- mine is just a hunch from personal experience [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

its a neck thru y2kv

Comment

That is not normal. I am not trying to scare you, but replacing a truss rod on a neck through guitar is serious $. If you know how to check your truss rod adjustment, I would check the string height, set it down, check the string height BEFORE you move it and make it click, then again once it has clicked. If the difference is more than maybe 0.002" I would take it to a repairperson. Have you tried adjusting the truss rod?

Comment

Could be a whole sh!tload of different things causing that but I'd suspect one of the wound strings popping over the nut. Any tuning problems?
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Is it plugged in when you hear the click? Could it just be the cord crackling/popping in the amp?

It could also be the strings slipping on the nut or tuners.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

cool i really appreciate all the replies. Heres what happens. I pull on my headstock backwards and hear the loud click of my truss rod, this should be normal I think? Then if i shake my guitar it will make a softer clicking sound and wont make that soft sound again unless I let it sit for about 5mins then shake it again.

Comment

are you facing east or west when this happens ?? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like something is loose. Try tightening the truss rod a bit like an 8th of a turn to see if its tight or not. Then check the string hight again to see if it's any different than before you moved the truss rod. It could just be the nut on the top is a little loose and drifting around slightly. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
                  Gil
                  Forgot to mention one thing It could also be a loose tuner nut or something ratling and not the truss rod.

[ October 12, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: JACKSONFREAK ]

Comment

cool im pretty sure i fixed it. Theres 3 screws on the truss rod plate, 2 of them could be screwed in a little more so I tightened them about as tight as they would go (although making sure not to strip the screws) and there doesnt seem to be any more clicking. Thanks guys. i appreciate it

Comment

There was a click you heard that was audible enough to be heard over playing, and you tightened 2 tiny wood screws and it is corrected?

I would take that cover off and see if your truss rod nut isnt sitting in that little pocket.

Not to scare, but if that shi.t is warranty related, you better look at it, and not do anything you are not qualified by Fender/ Jackson to do, because that neglect/abuse.

That voids your warranty.

Comment

I promise it aint those two little screws on the truss cover or the truss rod causing the noise. Hell, could even be loose neck screws. Tighten up every screw you can find on the guitar and see if it goes away! [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] If not, just a little KY Jelly on the nut should fix everything up! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Disregard that last post....KY is water based and will cause rust. Nobody wants rusty nuts! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ October 12, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]

Comment

no the click wasnt audible enough to be heard over playing, if the room was quiet and i shook the guitar i would hear it. Its doing it again by the way after i tightened those two screws. I thought it had fixed it but apparently it didnt. The wierd thing is it only clicks when its been sitting still then i shake it. If i constantly shake it it only clicks once at the first

Comment

take the truss rod nut cover off, and look.
                              I forget, but if the kv model has a floyd *sry y2kv, too lazy to delete* but if it does, may be a floyd spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X