No announcement yet.

Please help me Identify this Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd keep it as is, as long as the neck/body fit together and intonate correctly once you get the Floyd on there.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They definitely fit together. Over the weekend I bolted them back together just to make sure of that. The neck pocket is definitely the right size for that neck. the only thing I noticed is that the fretboard does stick up from the body of the guitar a little. I dont honestly know if thats acceptable or not. I dont think I have ever had a guitar where that is the case. I will try to get a picture of it tonight, but I would guess that its somewhere between an 16th and an 18th of an inch from the body to the bottom of the fretboard. That may be a non issue, I just havent re-done or played enough different guitars to know.

Comment

Yes, that's fine when the fretboard floats above the body. Some guitars have the fretboard and neck flush with each other, while others have the fretboard extending as an "overhang" to accommodate more frets.

Overhang on the left, no overhang on the right.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for that good news. I know on my Epi LP the frets overhang like that, but the fret board more or less lays on the body pretty flush. I didnt know if the additional spacing between the last fret and the body would cause any issues with intonation at all. I was sort of hoping that someone would chime in though and say to just stick with what I have, because i feel like that Kramer body and that Charvel neck would make a pretty sweet combo for mutt guitar. Then it truly would be my own custom thing and I think that would be sweet. Plus as I said before I would like a nice dual humbucker setup and i like the relative simplicity for wiring in that body with only 1 vol and 1 tone pot and a switch. I greatly enjoy wiring since by trade i am an electrical engineer, but I am not the absolute best at soldering as I just dont have to do it much for work. Now I am pretty excited to start gathering parts and making a beast of a guitar. I will definitely keep everyone here updated as to my progress!

Comment

My DKMGT fret board overhangs between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I'm not so much worried about the overhang amount from the last fret towards the pup's. I'm more so worried about the spacing from the face of the body vertically (if you were to lay the guitar flat on its back) up to the underneath bottom of the fretboard. I don't recall ever seeing a guitar with a space like that. It almost makes me thing the Charvel neck joint is too think for that neck pocket on the Kramer body, or in other words that that Kramer Bodies neck pocket isn't routed deep enough into the body. Being that i'm no expert I am not sure, but I would think this could play with the ability to intonate properly correct?

I found this image on another forum and am borrowing it momentarily, assuming this link works. This displays what I am worried about. The annotations on the image are not mine, so ignore those.

Comment

Now I'm really reaching (ie - bordering on talking out of my ass) because I don't have personal experience with this, but if your bridge and pickups can be raised to appropriate/normal heights to compensate, without the action or intonation being affected, I don't see why the Kramer/Charvel incompatibility would affect anything.

Comment

Thats a good point. Being that I dont have a trem, bridge, or pickups yet, I am sure I could possibly find a setup that could potentially work. My main reason for asking about this height difference was because I was following the thread that that picture I linked came from on a different forum here:

I am worried that when I go to intonate the guitar I will have a similar issue. I dont think my gap is as bad as the one in that thread though, but its still enough that it had me worried a bit.

Comment

I happen to have an 88 Strat sitting right beside me. I do not have a ruler sitting beside me.
                    The space between the body and the fretboard is much larger than the action. So, like in the picture at GMC, it is probably 3/16". I do believe that all of my Jackson Strat guitars are the same.

The only problem I can see you having is the fact that the trem is recessed. You can't always raise them as high.
                    Last edited by pianoguyy; 02-20-2017, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X