Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and full of G A S !

Hello everyone,
    I can't even begin to describe the sense of confort derived from finding that there is a name for my condition. I'm a IT consultant with a strong background in electronics/audio gear, and a fearless approach to repairing things (anything on a car, computers, camera optics, watches, scientific instruments and apparently now, guitars!). I've taken on the job of supporting the youth band at my church with all the rigging, connecting and the sourcing some of their instruments and now for the admission:
    I've purchased 3 guitars in the last 6-weeks and I find myself "trolling" for guitar hits on e-bay and dreaming guitars everyday! This is really scary, it has come over me without warning and apparently, from what I see here, there is no cure! Listen folks this is really bad, I don't even play single chord on any instrument.
    So far I've been able to keep this addiction from my wife and kids, they think that I only buy cameras on e-bay, but guitars, multi-effects pedals and practice amps are much harder to hide. What can I do? There are a couple of Jacksons and Charvels coming up today that I have my eye on and I need a fix!
    Do you all think the tedious and dissonant process of actually learning how to play a guitar may actually discourage me from pursuing this new obsession? Please be gentle and understanding with me, I'm at a vulnerable stage now. If I find acceptance here, I might just open up and share some of my concerns with guitar mods, the differences between fishing wire leader and guitar strings, low serial # Charvels, etc.
    Wow, so this is what it feels like to attend an AA meeting!

Best regards,

Rod

Re: New and full of G A S !

Welcome to JCF.

Congratulations. You sound like you are going through a celebration of your being.

My thought for you: Find the harmony between what you buy and how it plays you.

Comment

Welcome, you have stumbled upon the sweet spot for Jackson/Charvel guitars and all things guitar and sometimes not related.
      Of course you should learn at least a chord or two and a couple licks. How else can you fully inspect, critique and compare your purchases.

Be fully warned however this leads to an increase of G.A.S. by at least 100% if not more. But as some say ......... It's all GOOD! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

OH I'M SORRY.

I meant to say yes that is correct if you learn to play, all your problems will be over and you will never want to buy one more guitar!

Right Guys [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

HINT: Replace all 'Charvel' case logos with 'Canon'...
          [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Welcome to the asylum.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm really all teared up! Seriously though, I now own 3 guitars a Wasburn, and 2 Charvels; a CX-292 ser#001342 and a CX-192 that is currently on it's way to me from e-bay. The 292 had a dead neck pickup and upon inspection, I was unprepared for the spaghetti bowl approach to wiring in this guitar. Other than the humbucker leads, all other wiring was unshielded and there were no apparent efforts to shield the various cavities of the guitar. The Washburn had grounded foil-backed covers and all signal leads were coax with single point ground returns. In other words what I consider a solid noise rejection approach to wiring. Is my 292 example typical of these guitars?

Rod

Comment

its
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

it's = contraction for it is [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh ... you meant his it's ...........sorry

Comment

Welcome to the board! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Welcome Rod!

Don't worry that you can't play ... yet!

Jacksons can be viewed as works of art in addition to excellent musical instruments (just check the gallery!).

Besides, there are many resources - both here and on other websites - that will help you learn- if you want to! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                      X