Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are those 2016 Charvel MIM necks like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are those 2016 Charvel MIM necks like?

Anyone have a 2016 MIM Charvel? I have a 2013 charvel...the first year they were made in Mexico, I love the neck on that thing. Just because its not MIA doesn't mean...anything really.

I don't think a flatsawn neck compared to a quarter sawn neck will make much difference, especially if the 2016 has graphite rods...the neck may never move.

The 2016 model comes with a "Speed neck" whatever that means...I think it's probably thinner than my 2013.

I like them. They feel thinner than the MIJ Pro Mods. My biggest complant is the are very rough feeling on the back. Nothing that same light sanding and oiling couldn't fix though.

Comment

I actually had a MIJ promod before too and the neck was the best I've ever used, the 2013 MIM neck seemed similar.

But yes...my MIM 2013 neck feels a bit rough too but I never notice it. I've heard the 2016 models are closer to the originals...but who knows, back then they weren't all made the same.

Comment

Not sure how it measures up to the old Charvel profile but, as compared to a Soloist, the "speed neck" profile is slightly thinner. The backshape also starts out round in the lower registers for easier chording, then gradually flattens out as you go higher up the neck for easier soloing. At least, that's the theory.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, I that i'm satisfied when I get the neck. Sounds like it will be a bit thinner than th 2013 necks which is good.

The 2013 charvel necks feels like one of those new sparkle squire necks...

Comment

I have a 2013 and 2 2016's and they are very similar in feel. I don't feel one neck is better then the other. I actually don't notice much of a difference between the 3. My 2013 has Rosewood and the 2 2016's are Maple.
            I will say this, they are amazing to play and I don't like anything else anymore. I don't play my Jackson SL3 anymore because I prefer the feeling of the Charvel necks and comfort of those guitars is just a perfect match for me.

Comment

Yeah every guitar that I pick up at the music store just doesn't feel like a modern Charvel neck...the specs must be very close and maybe even the same, maybe they just added the name "speed neck" to make it sound good?

Do you find the 2016 necks pretty stable? they're suppose to have graphite rods on them. The graphite should be stronger than the neck itself...I get the neck next week for my custom build and I'll post pictures here!

Comment

Originally posted by d4rin View Post
                Yeah every guitar that I pick up at the music store just doesn't feel like a modern Charvel neck...the specs must be very close and maybe even the same, maybe they just added the name "speed neck" to make it sound good?

Do you find the 2016 necks pretty stable? they're suppose to have graphite rods on them. The graphite should be stronger than the neck itself...I get the neck next week for my custom build and I'll post pictures here!
                I have owned my 2016 White Hard Tail San Dimas for about a year now and it rarely ever goes out of tune. The neck is perfectly straight as it should be and plays like a dream. That guitar is now my #1 and earned that for a lot of reasons and a huge reason is how it plays. It's so damn comfortable and fast. The neck is absolutely amazing and my favorite of all time.
                The 2013 goes out of tune more often. I use the same strings on it (NYXL's 10-46) and I also have upgraded the saddles to graphite models that are supposed to help with tuning. The Neck on that guitar doesn't go wacky but it slighty gets effected by the temperature changes way more then the 2016. I gotta assume the rods make a huge difference. The 2016 is flat sawn and the 2013 1/4 sawn from what I have learned. I could be wrong about the 2013. All I know is the 2016 models IMO are better then any Charvel I have ever owned or played. They feel polished, even American high quality built. Both of mine are flawless and play amazing.
                My other 2016 is a White So Cal which has the same feeling neck as the San Dimas. The tuning on that guitar is always in tune. Helps with the Double Locking Floyd system and I also use the same strings in the XYXL's.
                I say just go buy one and learn why everyone talks about how damn good they are. Try and find a bad review or even anyone who is a Charvel guy hate on them. I see no reason in the world not to own one or 6 which is what I plan on doing. I have my eye on 4 more.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                  I have owned my 2016 White Hard Tail San Dimas for about a year now and it rarely ever goes out of tune. The neck is perfectly straight as it should be and plays like a dream. That guitar is now my #1 and earned that for a lot of reasons and a huge reason is how it plays. It's so damn comfortable and fast. The neck is absolutely amazing and my favorite of all time.
                  The 2013 goes out of tune more often. I use the same strings on it (NYXL's 10-46) and I also have upgraded the saddles to graphite models that are supposed to help with tuning. The Neck on that guitar doesn't go wacky but it slighty gets effected by the temperature changes way more then the 2016. I gotta assume the rods make a huge difference. The 2016 is flat sawn and the 2013 1/4 sawn from what I have learned. I could be wrong about the 2013. All I know is the 2016 models IMO are better then any Charvel I have ever owned or played. They feel polished, even American high quality built. Both of mine are flawless and play amazing.
                  My other 2016 is a White So Cal which has the same feeling neck as the San Dimas. The tuning on that guitar is always in tune. Helps with the Double Locking Floyd system and I also use the same strings in the XYXL's.
                  I say just go buy one and learn why everyone talks about how damn good they are. Try and find a bad review or even anyone who is a Charvel guy hate on them. I see no reason in the world not to own one or 6 which is what I plan on doing. I have my eye on 4 more.
                  Hey!

The 2013 neck does get affected a bit by temperature I've noticed. I use the same strings on it, 10-46...AMAZING STRINGS. I didn't even have to stretch those things...I couldn't believe it. And they lasted for weeks and sounded the same. I find with Ernie Ball they're more slinky at the start but they change as time goes on. The NYXL stay the same.

But I can't use 10-46 anymore with the bending I do, it just bothers my knuckles too much, So I should never use 10's ever again, it's not worth the pain. I hope the 9-42 NYXL set gives me the same tuning stability!

I ordered a new 2016 Charvel neck off ebay, looks mint and not touched...got it for a good price. I'm using it for a custom guitar build that I will have done next month.

Have you played any older Charvels to compare the neck to? I owned a Japenese charvel, the last year they made them and the neck was unreal, but it came with some weird tint/gloss on it which I didn't like.

Comment

D'Addarios that don't go out of tune or break after a week???? Miracles do happen!
                    www.vvforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by shramiac View Post
                      D'Addarios that don't go out of tune or break after a week???? Miracles do happen!
                      Haha!

Some people break a lot of strings, I've only broken maybe 5 in my life...

Comment

Just got my 2016 neck in the mail.

It's %100 MINT and got it for $400 CDN, excellent price.

Neck seems to be better than the 2013 model, it's much smoother. The profile seems to be a bit thinner but I'd have to measure it.

Looks a lot better than Quatersawn, and the thumb-wheel is metal and not plastic.

No sharp fret ends, I have no idea if the frets are level. Looking down the neck I don't see any twists at all.

Couldn't be happier, once I get some stainless steel frets on it someday the neck will never need a fret job or even a level EVER again.

Also...the nut came with a small floyd rose shim that is METAL and not wood, they did it %100 properly. if anyone is wondering. I am planning on getting the action low, so the neck joint will have to be shimmed.

free upload pictures
                        Last edited by d4rin; 02-21-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X