WORST Jackson/Charvel guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WORST Jackson/Charvel guitars?

Are there some Jackson/Charvel models that are terrible? Anything we should particularly look out for? I'm really only familiar with the Select Series, MG Series, and Professional Series, which already blow away most/everything else in their price range and quality.

Re: WORST Jackson/Charvel guitars?

I'd say all current models are cool, but in the past, the Indonesian models weren't known for their awesomeness (X series, JS series).

Charvettes also come to mind! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Keep in mind the cheaper the axe, the cheaper the hardware. On the lower end stuff you'll find lesser quality trems, knobs, switches, etc.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hmmm, I wasn't aware of Indonesian-made Jacksons/Charvels. I thought I remembered someone saying the X Series and JS Series were manufactured in India, not Indonesia. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, they were made in India, never Indonesia. Ron, go sit in the corner and study a little more, pal. Spelling won't get you anywhere in life! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a neck from a really low end Jackson where someone messed up drilling the tuner holes, so they doweled all 6 holes and redrilled. You could see these 6 doweled about a 1/2" away from the tuner holes. Ofcourse it wasn't that noticeable after the face was painted and with the cheap gears installed.

Comment

I'll have to step in and defend the Charvettes here. The only difference between my Charvel Fusion, and my Charvette 270RR is the plywood body. The hardware is standard Jackson hardware, and the pickups are Charvel, plus the neck is fantastic.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Oof, got me; I just received a buncha Squier Strat Packs (made in Indonesia) in today so that's what I was thinking of! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

At least it's not particle board! Remember, plywood is "bonded tonewoods"!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Plywood is scrap material, and these days it's actually "presswood" - wood chips pressed together. That's why they have the multi-colored patches.

And body wood does make a big difference when one body is ply and the other is "real".

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc is right-what is called plywood these days is mostly the chips smooshed together. However, if you pick up any skateboard you can see real plywood in it's finest form! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to skate on hook ups boards because of the chicks, but I really liked Santa Cruz or Maple.

Comment

> I'm not sure how good or bad a "plywood" neck or body would be,but there are super high quality plywoods available now,that would probably be better for necks than bodies. Some of these can be ordered with a rather unique resin impregnation technique,where the wood is laminated and vacuum treated with a phenolic resin,just like pool balls and the original reddish brown Charvel nuts are made of. This material is damn near indestructible,super stable and warp free. It can also be used almost immediately,as opposed to taking the initial cut and waiting 5-6 months for the wood to settle. It takes an incredible polish,and is totally waterproof,short of leaving it in the bathtub for weeks at a time. Tommy D.
                        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Heh heh Hook-Ups were nearly indestructable but also very heavy... We were talking guitars, weren't we?

Comment

I'd have to say that, despite being made in Taiwan and costing $200 brand new, my JS1 Dinky Reverse was just fine. The pickups weren't so great, and it was just a cheap fulcrum trem, but I've seen much worse guitars for much higher prices.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have a JS30 and it has a Made in Japan sticker on the back of the neck, it's not Indian made so [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X