WORST Jackson/Charvel guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WORST Jackson/Charvel guitars?

My Jackson JK-20 kind of sucked. It was ~300 w/case.

1) Neck warped slightly after a few months

2) Trem bar threads were stripped after a few months

3) Switch never worked right from day one and would always fall back into the middle position

4) Pot was complete junk.

5) Paint on body was terrible...pits everywhere

Other than that I kinda liked it cause it sounded great actually and I liked the neck before it warped but the worksmanship and parts were just ****ty. Design was good though.

Comment

Newc is right-what is called plywood these days is mostly the chips smooshed together
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, the material that you are talking about with the wood chips "smooshed" together, is called waferboard or strandboard, depending on the particular material used. The type of wood that is made from sawdust and binding agent is called particleboard or fibreboard.

Waferboard, strandboard, particleboard and fibreboard all come in sheets, like plywood, but they are not plywood, per se.

Plywood is a series of veneers that are laid on top of each other and bound together. The outer two layers are often better quality than the layers inside. Plywood is typically better quality and more expensive than the other board product named above.

That being said, anal pontifications about wood product aside, I have no idea what board product is being used to make guitars nowadays. If it were fibreboard, the guitars would way a TON!

Comment

Particle board is not suitable for anything that will take much of a heavy load or sustained pressure. It will expand and warp with humidity, a sustianed load will cause it to bow, and enough direct pressure and it snaps.

I agree that it would be interested to see natural finished guitars using some of the more modern laminated wood products... Just look at some of the Ruger rifle stocks or the laminated Browning "camo" type material, and it could make for an interesting guitar. It would be quite heavy though, but moisture and warping wouldn't be issues.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
          Particle board is not suitable for anything that will take much of a heavy load or sustained pressure. It will expand and warp with humidity, a sustianed load will cause it to bow, and enough direct pressure and it snaps.

I agree that it would be interested to see natural finished guitars using some of the more modern laminated wood products... Just look at some of the Ruger rifle stocks or the laminated Browning "camo" type material, and it could make for an interesting guitar. It would be quite heavy though, but moisture and warping wouldn't be issues.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, the Ruger stocks are awesome looking and extremely stable over a wide range of environmental variables...... [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Ya know, that just gave me an idea.........hmmmmm.......
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I remember, back in the late '80s the NJ series BC Rich guitars were supplied with weird laminated necks - 'bout a hundred alternating dark/light strips running the length of the neck. Has anyone still got one of those?

Comment

Particleboard is what they make those crap tables out of that you see wrestlers throwing eachother thru on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                Newc is right-what is called plywood these days is mostly the chips smooshed together. However, if you pick up any skateboard you can see real plywood in it's finest form! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You guys are thinking of OSB (oriented strand board) or waferboard, but actual plywood is still quite common; if you've
                been to Lowes or Home Depot lately you'll
                see they carry both in abundance.

OOPS!! I see someone beat me to that
                statement!

[ October 15, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

DX1. Without a doubt. You don't realise the full extent of the horror until you have to look at a hundred or more in a day.

The ONLY good thing about DX1's is that I got a box of Bell Pins staples on a couple of occasions. Those are some awesome staples! India is definitely the world leader in puncture-affixing technology.

The sad thing is I'm completely serious that staples are the best thing to ever come in a DX1 box. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Anything Imported in the last couple of years. I especially hate the fake inlays made on plastic.

If your not sure what I mean get hold of a late 80's or early 90's Jackson or Charvel and put it up against, say a DK2 or DXMG. They are both crap guitar in comparison.

Comment

Anything made in India. Also, some of the really low end junk is made in China. Those are the ones with the really crappy looking cheapo tuners. Jackson's come in all flavors, all the way from Oh-my-god awesome to craptacular.

Comment

Originally posted by 81Dimarzio:
                        Anything Imported in the last couple of years. I especially hate the fake inlays made on plastic.

If your not sure what I mean get hold of a late 80's or early 90's Jackson or Charvel and put it up against, say a DK2 or DXMG. They are both crap guitar in comparison.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to strongly disagree with that statement.

I've had both 80's and 90's Jacksons or Charvels for many years, both Import and US.

Both the DK2 and DXMG have held up against ANY of them, and a number of US guitars by other manufacturer.

In fact, I put my DXMG AHEAD of my DK1 in terms of playability and tone.

I will say this over and over and over again.. In my opinion, early Charvel imports and the current top line Jackson Imports are the EQUAL of any non-custom shop USA Jackson I have ever played.

The only area I truely see an advantage for US guitars are the cosmetics such as MOP inlays and such.

It's only my opinion, but I honestly doubt if anybody could spot the diff between a DXMG and a DK1 by playing it blindfolded.

Just MY opinion

[ October 15, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

I think the Indian/ Indonesian / Chinese /who cares where - axes aren´t necessarily worse, but definitely more "hit or miss" than the Japanese and USA ones.

Take my late ´90s JS-1: Put Duncans in it, decent tuners, new Nut and Graphtech saddles, and voila! The only guitar that can contend with it is my USA DK-1, in terms of pure sonic pounding and sustain, Including a few other Jacksons and Gibsons.

This axe is probably the sole reason I don´t own even more USA Jacksons, it just takes on all comers. The DK-1 is faster, and has a floyd, but in all other respects...

[ October 18, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Zerberus ]

Comment

Don't buy a DX anything! I have known 3 people who had them, and all of 'em had legit gripes about the necks or the wired components in them...If you go import, go to at least a Pro Series, or DKMG..

Comment

Working...
                            X