No announcement yet.

RELAX: Don't Do It, When You Wanna...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RELAX: Don\'t Do It, When You Wanna...

I hope you had the intonation set on that trem before it was painted, but I'm sure you thought of that. The only reason I mention it is because in the pic it almost looks like all the saddles are lined up straight but I really can't see it clearly. If you don't mind me asking, what does she charge for a job like that? Looks like killer detail.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yes, I thought of all the potential problems associated with this strange request to paint everything. The tremolo post action has been pre-determined, so I will never need to adjust the action height again, as I will (and have been using) use the same brand and gauge of strings indefinitely. And of course the intonation has been set with the same brand/gauge of string that I've been using on that guitar for almost 3 years now. Each piece of the tremolo that moves was individually hand painted to ensure proper function even with paint applied. I doubt there will be fading issues, number one, I don't sweat hard at all (all my gold plated trems are pristine, some of them now over a decade old) and it will be lightly clear coated. The beauty of it all is that the original paint and finish on the guitar and trem was stripped prior to the graphic being applied. This insures that the tone and the thickness of the paints won't be affected. Daneen knows her stuff. If anyone is interested in her work, you can email her directly at CustomAirBrush.com or drop me a line at:
      [email protected] because I don't like to advertise my expenses on the board.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Joe -
        A sweet "addition" to a great collection. F'in eh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby:
          You are= you're! Not your!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Latest pic prior to the clearcoat application:

Comment

Man, that is sharp! I do have to agree with Mark though, it's amazing how the saddles are in such a straight line and intonated. I just didn't think that was possible to do....Guess I'm still learning!
              Very nice!

Dave->
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I thouht about a painted trem as well, but I rejected that idea because I had the idea that it would make the trem unpresice. I am really curious wheter it works. It looks killer, that is something that is for sure!!! rock on man!

harrald

Comment

Nope, paint cannot make a trem lose its precision. Only a poorly set up or faulty/neglected instrument can lose precision. What do you think they put on the trems to begin with? Water colors?! That's black paint on there, buds! Black plating, some have gold plating too. Some anal retentives (EVH) swear by the chrome ones cause they aren't painted/plated over. Who cares if it's black or colored paint?! This AT Soloist kicked a$$ and oozed with tone to die for. Check out the intonation! Dead on balls too. Plus, I have many others that are intonated under the most exacting standards that look that way:

And it's not limited to Schallers and Floyds, here it is on a Jackson JT-6:
                  Several reasons why I'm not concerned:
                  ***it's still completely adjustable, so if anything is off, I can readjust it, the screws are not stuck in the paint
                  ***if it doesn't work out for some strange reason, I can just put in a non painted Schaller
                  ***the chance to have it painted was too good to say no to.

Comment

Damm 8 image limit! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

And on some Kahlers:

And on a tune-a-matic: [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean Joe. I'd been playing my 750XL for years when one day I looked at where the intonation was at (I didn't set it) and it was all straight! Checked it and it was fine, so I left it of course.

Can't wait to see LOTS of BIG and HI RES pics of this guitar when it's done.

Vic

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Truth is that absolutely correct intonation is usually only detectable on a very accurate tuner and not with the naked ear. Line all the bridge saddles up at 25.5 (on that scale length of course) and rip a good solo and I'll dare anyone here to tell you what string is off a semi-tone or whatever! It's all tech, but in the real world I can promise you exact intonation isn't necessary. Hell, I can play a solo with one string stretched out of tune a little and using a bit of vibrato and bend compensation in the right places totally hides it. Anyone that has ever played live can back up my statement.

Comment

Very interesting, but you must admit, it's not all that common. I mean, I'm not exactly new to this "hobby" and you don't see that everyday. Thanks for the lesson!
                          [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

UN......BELEIVABLE!!!

What an awesome looking guitar!
                            That RULES!!!
                            Saw....eet!

Comment

Hey Joe, I had a Charvel 550XL with the Schaller Floyd. It came set up (intonated) from the factory with every saddle neatly lined up, like in your pics. My friend, who worked on my guitars laughed and said that it couldn't possibly be right, with the saddles all lined up like that. I checked it, and it was dead-on accurate. Maybe it is a trait of the Schallers? That was a great guitar, truly a poor mans Soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                                Very interesting, but you must admit, it's not all that common. I mean, I'm not exactly new to this "hobby" and you don't see that everyday. Thanks for the lesson!

Dave->
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your right Dave, it's not common and it's also not absolutely correct. I have set the intonation on all my guitars and not a single one of them ended up with the saddles lined up. My point is that just because some people (myself included!) are anal about intonation, it's actually only critical with certain playing styles but not with the type of music most guys here play. You're a machinist so you're supposed to be a perfectionist...it's your job!

Comment

Working...
                                X