Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: With much trepidation. . .

Here's another perspective:

You're told it's a parts guitar. You're told that it's a Floyd conversion, and that it's a factory route, and know it's not the original owner. YOU have plans to do a restoration, so the body is the key issue for you.

Why didn't you specifically ASK for a pic of the route with the trem off, before you made the deal? No offense, but just because someone is a member of this forum doesn't mean he/she is an expert. I am sure the seller would've complied.

Also, I can see that doesn't look like the rounded factory route. What if someone told a green apprentice to do it and he fukked up? Maybe it was bad enough that the only way to clean it up
    was to square it off. The paint match
    looks good, and unlike with new production, this is someone's existing guitar, so they aren't apt to just give him a new body. The guy says the records show that guitar in for a Floyd conversion. You can't say that in the history of Glendora no one ever fukked up a guitar.

If it were me, I'd have asked for a pic of the route with the trem off; that's just me though.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

If you peer down inside the cavity you can see the remnants of the original route. On Floyd converstions, it is not necessary to enlarge the existing route to that degree. Only the part by the bar needs to be slightly routed to facilitate the bar assembly so that it has freedom of movement.

This is a hack job.

Clark, I would LOVE to know what JCF member claimed that it was done at the factory after the fact. I'd be interested in hear more on that one and the seaside property he/she has available in Arizona.

You did not honestly believe that, did you?
      www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

It may look like a hack job considering what it should look like but who knows what condition it was in before it went back to be re-done like that. A LOT of bad things happened to Charvel guitar in the 80's (to people's hair too, but that's a different thread). People speak often of the butchery they performed on their guitars, learning to do something, or just wanting to do something cheaply.

The original owner may have hacked it up himself and he or a subsequent owner had it sent back for a refin and to get the Floyd route fixed up. What we see today may have been the best they could do with what they had.

Just a thought.

Comment

Have someone with the connections check the records. If it indeed says that it came in for a Floyd conversion, then that pretty much settles it.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I agree with Gene, what he brings up sounds like a viable story. It was probably a little butchered when it went in..Jackson cleaned it up and painted it doing the best they could. It doesn't look as it should from what people are saying/showing a conversion should be, but it does look like a pro refin as best able short of filling it in and starting over.

[ October 18, 2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

So now I would like some thoughts on what to do with the body. As a San Dimas Charvel body, which would be best; 1)leave the route 2) have GMW cap it 3) put a 7 string floyd on it and use the top 6 saddles [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess I could sell it for what ever I can get, and try to find a 1 hum Charvel body to replace it, but what are my chances of finding one, and how much would it be roughly?

Comment

If it works leave it be. It could turn out to be 1 hell of a beater.If not sell the body on the bay and get a GMW body and leave it raw, with a chrome ofr that would look cool as hell.
                  www.kiddhavok.com
                  www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Working...
                  X