Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Jackson or Import Charvel?

Hi,

This is my first post, and this guitar will be my first Jackson/Charvel purchase. I've been playing Fender Strats (still have one) and Gibsons for about 15 years.

My price limit is about $800, so USA models are out, I want a new guitar for a change! My fender's a MIJ Comtemporary Fat strat with EMGs.

So what should I buy? I can get one of the Jackson imports (DK2, DXMG,DKMG) or a Charvel (Journeymen,Standard, Model A, Model A+(found a deal on one))

I play mostly Hard Rock and Metal, but I want this axe to be vesatile enough to handle other styles as well. Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

Re: Import Jackson or Import Charvel?

I'd get a Jackson if I were you...I think that those import Charvels are overpriced.

Comment

Save another $500 or so, and get a USA. I dont know what your paychecks are like, but thats about 2 months for me, well worth a quality guitar IMO.

Comment

hey, do you live in England? if you do theres a shop in hertfordshrire called Coda Music. Their selling 2 second hand Jackson RR1's for 800 or 900.

heres the web site:

www.coda-music.com
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Joe, are you in Colorado?
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

KY(Joe), perhaps Kentucky? (or his favorite brand of lube [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Comment

If you are stuck on buying something brand new the Jackson DKMG's are a favorite of mine. Extremely nice axe for around $600.00. Personally I would never buy a new guitar, I like letting the original buyer eat the majority of the depreciation! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Hmmm...let's see.... a new import for 600 or a used USA for 600 to 700?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I can fully understand the appeal of wanting a brand new guitar, but you get over that kinda quick once you spend the same amount on a used one of better quality [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                My first new Jackson (DK-2) cost me as much as one of the used Jacksons I had bought before that (Warrior Pro), and the Warrior was way better [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yep...newc is right.....but damn...it's hard to read his posts when you're looking at that cute lil avater in all those different positions!!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey,

Just checking in, so you know I'm checking the posts from those of you kind enough to chime in!

maliciousteve - no I don't live in england, I'm mainly a studio musician, and the RR models don't sit well on my lap! Though Randy Rhoads is definitely one of my biggest influences. EVH IMHO wasn't/isn't half the guitarist Randy was, but that's another subject for debate!javascript:void(0)

Sorry RacerX, Swillmaster is correct I live in Kentucky (god help me) but I grew up in Central New York. How I got here is another story.

The problem with saving up for a USA made is that I really don't see the need. My Fender is a great Axe which I'll never give up, I bought it used and it's my project guitar. I want a decent all around guitar to fill in the gaps where the Fender lacks. Mainly the "Metal sound" for lack of a better description and a thinner neck with 24 frets to clean up my solos. The Fender neck is a bit too narrow, it has normal frets where I need jumbos, and I want lower action on the strings.

I want a new guitar because I'm kinda rough on fretboards. I had a brand new Gibson Les Paul that I really liked, I just wore the guitar out in 4-5 years. Jackson/Charvels, from my experience as a tech seems to hang in for the long haul even with excessive use. Which I'm sure is why there are so many of us that own and in my case want one!javascript:void(0)

I'm also a singer/songwriter (I have a song on the radio in Japan called "Missing you", anyone here from Japan?>email me)
                    Used guitars alot of the time come with the "imprint" of it's previous owner, if you know what I mean. The guitar and I just can't seem to work together well, even the Fender and I have this problem! Think of it like bad Mojo on a guitar.javascript:void(0)

Anyway thank you all for responding and I hope others continue to add comments as I am no closer to deciding what to buy!

Joe

Comment

Well, everybody really seems to love their DK2s and DXMGs so you can't go wrong there. $400-500 so you're well under budget. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep, go for a DK2. You won't regret it. And, you don't need a USA model to be happy. I had a PC1 and believe it or not, I prefer my DK2. So, to each his own.

Brian

Comment

Well bro, if you wore out a Les Paul in 4 or 5 years you'll probably wear out a Jackson in 4 or 5 years too! And BTW, could you please define "wore out" ?? There are Les Pauls and Jacksons out there that have been played for 20+ years and aren't "wore out" yet! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ October 16, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]

Comment

for 800 you CAN get a USA Jackson. I would look for a used one. Also the older Charvel model series imports are great guitars for little money.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hi again,

"Wore out" - (Les Paul Studio) Frets were dead and lifeless, had difficultly holding tune, and the excellent tone that it once had vanished alomost overnight. Glue on necks are a pain to completely refret and the expense wasn't worth it, especially since it would not only hurt the resale value but it would also change the tone...sometime for the better and sometimes not.

This happens to some guitars, I had an Ibanez Roadstar (back when they were well made) that did the same thing. I've been playing a longtime, more than half my life and I'm 33. I've worked both as a guitar tech and at my uncles music store..the late great Falso Music which was around for many years. Just to show I have some experience, no disrespect intended.

Sometimes it's just a guitar that slipped past quality control, which happens all the time and some guitars go on for years before you notice it. Usually it's just a bad piece of wood, with all the paint and clear coats that cover it you'll never know until it's either fix it and take your chances or get a case of GAS! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

From my experience, most Guild, Rickenbaker, Jackson and especially Charvel and Carvin (believe it or not) guitars have better durability and quality control than most. Fender, Gibson, etc. only seem to care about the high end models and it shows in the end product. How many less expensive Strats ot LPs do you need to play to find a good one? It's like how many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good night and may we all play our guitars better tomorrow than we did today,

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X