Import Jackson or Import Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Import Jackson or Import Charvel?

The Charvel imports WERE overpriced, but almost all the online dealers seem to be running a promotion on them. You might have to send a few emails, as the prices aren't advertised directly on the sites. Easton Guitars and Matt's Music were both doing this, as I recall.

I'm all about pointy headstocks, but if I had more cash on hand, I'd be picking up a new Charvel.
    sigpic

Comment

Hey,

Thanks you all for your comments, I really appreciate the help and advise. Along with my own research it seems to me that while the Charvels cost a bit more, they seem to be better made as far as materials go. Not to mention I like the wider choice of colors.

So unless I run across a Jackson Soloist that I can't pass up [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm going to pick up a Charvel, if not I'll switch to the darkside and customize a Carvin [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'll let you know when I've made my purchase.

Thanks again, and see your around the boards!
      Joe

Comment

Carvins are NOT the dark side here! They are accepted with respect, though grudgingly by some. My Carvins are at least equal to my Jacksons and Charvels, if not as purty!

On this board the dark side brands are Ibanez and ESP, and of course Hondo.

[ October 17, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hey,

"Carvins are NOT the dark side here!"
          - I'll keep that in mind lerxstcat-

I was looking at the DC150 or the SC90S as an option, but it's hard to buy a Carvin when I've never even played one. At least I've played most of the current Jackson/Charvel models, I just was finding it hard to decide on the model, since none of the ones I played "spoke" to me. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I don't know if this is true in other states (besides KY), but are the dealers aware that Jackson/Charvel guitars come in more colors than Black? The only ones I saw that weren't were the JS models. It's like "Do I want the black one, or the black one, or this black one?" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Joe

Comment

Carvins kick ass! IMO, there's only a few USA made guitars worth getting nowadays... Carvin, Hamer and Jackson. Actually, I only own import Jacksons, but I'll eventually get a USA model. I got my first Carvin off Carvin's website from their In-Stock section about a year and a half ago, an SC90. I figured if I didn't like it, I had 10 days to test it out and send it back. I love it and will never part with it!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] A few months later, I got a DC400 off ebay. The only other USA guitar I've got is a 2001 Fender Double Fat Strat Hardtail. I got it mainly because it had the hardtail bridge and humbuckers, and it is a pretty good guitar. I guess I got lucky, as I've heard their quality control, like Gibson, within the past few years, hasn't been that great. There was a little glue on a couple frets I had to scrape off, and a few of the frets on the side of the neck could use a little bit of filler. Other than that, it plays and sounds great.
            Welcome to the board, and good luck in your new guitar search! -Joe [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] There seems to be a lot more Joes on this board lately, too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 18, 2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would buy a used, even though you may feel about it being broken in. My charvel 650XL, I got for 400$ shipped with a nice Jackson Hardshell case had not ONE dent in the frets, and the frets were full jumbos, not any play wear on them. I own a tech shop, so I could spot it pretty quick.

That said, if you can stomach a used model series Charvel, I see them, and so many other board members have, a Model 1, 2, 3, 4 for around 200ish, and a model 5 or 6 for more. The downside (TO ME!) is the Jt6 floyd, or the Kahler, but then again, I get parts cheap, so I can replace a floyd.

Also, what everyone is saying, the DK2, is a PHENOMONAL guitar, you can do ALOT with it.

Whatever your choice, if its a Charvel, or Jackson, it will be nice.

Btw, I played a newer charvel, 2 hums, Vintage style trem, nice flame top, and it played WONDERFULLY.

Whatever the choice, you will love it, and welcome to the family.

Something you need to know. It is a board rule you have to post pics of what you buy. If not, we come and confiscate it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never played it, but if you want a strat shaped guitar, check out the SL3

Comment

Welcome Kyjoe
                  I live in Ky too! Lexington to be exact.How about you?I can steer you into a great deal on a new charvel or jackson If you will email me personally I will tell you where to go.A place I know is clearing out some charvels at rock bottom prices.They have jackson DKMGTs, DK2s,swirl finishes, flame tops etc. A good selection of nice stuff.I may be going there today myself.The guys there are great and love charvel jackson guitars.They are working players too not some kids hired to sell guitars.Email me man I'll tell you where to go. [email protected]
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you want a new guitar buy a DKMG, but look at the model Charvels, even used they are the best deal for j/c's. Carvin's rock, My DC125 rocked, but I sold it to buy my car. Buy a model 1 or 2 throw a floyd and Custom Custom in it and you're Styling.
                    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I've come to except there are alot of Joes period. maybe we should get our own board, wouldn't that be interesting? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Richard, Lexington is where I went to check out some Jackson/Charvels (I live in Liberty, south of Lexington). Besides DW sound, I didn't see too many anywhere else...I didn't go to all of them either. As I said I was disappointed with the lack of colors, I like black too but it was ridiculous. I'm thinking about either a transparent or a sunburst finish. I'd make another trip to Lexington if I knew where else to go.

Everyone, I know going used is a great idea and I have a pretty good eye when it comes to quality. I always buy used, but not this time! Just once I'd like to buy a guitar that's brand new. It's all about getting the best wood combination, everythng else can be modified later (like putting in coil taps which is on my list). Thanks, but no thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

drsracing- If I get one with a floyd, I'm replacing it with a wilkingson or a vintage style. I'm sick of Floyds myself, but to each his own!

On a side note, I have to say without a doubt this forum is the most friendly one I've ever been a member of and I'm a member of many. Most boards are so rude, especially to new members. One more reason to buy a Jackson/Charvel, if weren't enough already! But seriously I'm lovin this site!

I'll send you an email Richard, please fill me in!

Joe

Comment

I own 2 USA selects (SL1's) and 2 import Jacksons (a DK2 and a DK2S), and while the craftmanship is better on the USA's, my 2 import Jacksons I use and play just as much as I do the USA ones (I use them as backups for my main guitars, 1 in standard tuning, 1 in drop-C tuning). They both sound and play really well, although I had to do my own setups on them after I bought them to suit to my preferences, whereas I did absolutely NOTHING to my USA's when I got them....it's like the Jackson people read my mind on their setups! A nice DK2 you can get really inexpensive I think, and you'll still have a fine playing/sounding guitar that looks reeally nice too...

Comment

Working...
                        X