Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean tone single coils for Adrian Smith Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean tone single coils for Adrian Smith Jackson?

Hello, I have a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX, although I put the American pickups in it as well as an original Floyd Rose.

I really like the humbucker for the high gain stuff but I don't really mix the hum bucker with the single coils, so I don't feel like the single coils need to be something that fits with the high gain hum bucker.

So I don't really have to have them be noiseless. I'd like to get a good warm strat tone, even like my MIM standard HSS strat, the neck/middle combination on that guitar just stock sounds extremely good. Although I'm sure there is even better.

Money isn't an issue, again, not looking to mix them with the hum bucker, looking to have a middle and neck single coils that I will mix for clean tones.

I need them to come in black because it wouldn't look right other wise. All I can find is recommendation for heavy metal single coils and that's not what I'm going for. I use the hum bucker for that, I really would like to get the best of both worlds out of this guitar, kinda like I do with my Fender MIM HSS, it just doesn't have a Floyd on it.

I've thought about putting a sustainer in there but from what I understand that would take away my neck pickup, I could be wrong about how that works.

Right now it has whatever the American version has, Fender noiseless singles, I think they are gen 3 or something. I know it's the same as the American one because I bought all 3 pickups from a guy who took them out of an American Adrian smith.

The neck and middle in a US Adrian Smith are the Fender SCN's (There will be "SCN" visible on the pickup covers). Some people like them (I personally do), but a lot of people are not fond of them. I have a set in a modified Squier strat, and I do really like them. If you decide you want to part with them, please let me know.

My choice of single-coil sized pickup for neck/middle positions in the Seymour Duncan Cool Rails. I have these in a couple of guitars that I gig regularly with, and use them for the clean tones, with a Seymour Duncan Full Shred in the bridge. I also don't usually mix the bridge humbucker with the middle and neck positions.
    A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

Originally posted by hairy-dude View Post
      The neck and middle in a US Adrian Smith are the Fender SCN's (There will be "SCN" visible on the pickup covers). Some people like them (I personally do), but a lot of people are not fond of them. I have a set in a modified Squier strat, and I do really like them. If you decide you want to part with them, please let me know.

My choice of single-coil sized pickup for neck/middle positions in the Seymour Duncan Cool Rails. I have these in a couple of guitars that I gig regularly with, and use them for the clean tones, with a Seymour Duncan Full Shred in the bridge. I also don't usually mix the bridge humbucker with the middle and neck positions.
      I may be parting with them, yes they are SCN, I don't hate them, it's just I like the regular strat pickups better. I don't really need them to be noiseless because I am not in live situations or anything and I also use position 4 on the 5 way switch to mix middle and neck for clean.

I just got to find something else to put in there. I can't decide what would work well. I just bought a Charvel with HH So cal, much like my Adrian Smith from Jackson, it has coil tapping on it, I'm looking forward to seeing what clean tones I can get out of that.

If I can get good clean tones out of the Charvel, I'm gonna take the Fender pickups out of the Jackson and put a sustainer in it.

I also have the USA version, Super Distortion I am probably parting with as I actually preferred the Jackson bridge pickup in the SDX to it. It seems like a copy except tweaked a bit to the basswood. So I put that back in there, it's just the stock single coils were horrible.

I'd be willing to sell all 3 for 70 dollars if I can find something to put in there or if the Charvel satisfies my clean tone. They are in perfect condition, wiring is good, look brand new.

I don't really have anything to compare them to except the non noiseless standard strat single coils MIM, and Squier classic 60's vibe single coil. The Squier 60's vibe strat actually contains the best clean tones I've ever owned. It's the cheapest guitar I have, yet my go to for recording cleans. They use a pickup company out in California for those guitars, I forget the name, but a lot of people put those pickups in their American strats as well.

Comment

get the american strat fender single coils in black...i have them in my usa strat...the cleans are pretty much unparalleled to my ears...fender knows single coil pickups...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonSDX View Post
          I also have the USA version, Super Distortion I am probably parting with as I actually preferred the Jackson bridge pickup in the SDX to it. It seems like a copy except tweaked a bit to the basswood. So I put that back in there, it's just the stock single coils were horrible.
          Like I mentioned in your other thread, I too prefer the stock humbucker in the SDX, and agree that the single coils don't sound good.

I put in an Ibanez INFS3 as the single coil replacement in the SDX. These were made like 10 years ago and are therefore cheap and plentiful on ebay. The INFS3 was designed as a higher output single coil to work in HSH configurations. Sounds great to me with a good single coil clean tone and is a good output match to the SDX bridge humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
            Like I mentioned in your other thread, I too prefer the stock humbucker in the SDX, and agree that the single coils don't sound good.

I put in an Ibanez INFS3 as the single coil replacement in the SDX. These were made like 10 years ago and are therefore cheap and plentiful on ebay. The INFS3 was designed as a higher output single coil to work in HSH configurations. Sounds great to me with a good single coil clean tone and is a good output match to the SDX bridge humbucker.
            Interesting, do you have any videos or anything with the clean tone being displayed? I understand why the Fender SCN's are in the American Adrian Smith and in my SDX due to making it as much like the American as possible, but I'm not using the single coils for the same purpose Adrian Smith is using them.

My Charvel will be here tomorrow and I'm really interested in hearing how those Seymour Duncan's sound when coil split on the neck. I watched a few videos of it and it sounded really good for clean tones. They are pretty hot though I might have to back them away from the strings. Which BTW I seem to prefer. I have both of my strats, SSS and HSS with the pickups extremely low, the Adrian Smith SDX stock hum bucker I don't have extremely low but I don't have it as high as it came either.

I really like to hear clarity in every single string when I hit power chords or am shredding. I notice if the pickup gets too close it just doesn't have that clarity to it. I still seem to be able to get the same amount of sustain if not more.

Comment

Working...
            X