Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel So Cal Pro Mod locking tuners and FRT 02000 replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel So Cal Pro Mod locking tuners and FRT 02000 replace?

I know it seems redundant to have locking tuners on a Floyd Rose guitar but I like having them on my guitars. A few minutes ago I just purchased my first Charvel, it's a Charvel So cal Pro Mod, new model from sweet water. I would like to purchase locking tuners for it without having to drill anything, does anyone know the size or can link to direct replacement?

As some may know from other post, I have an Adrian Smith SDX, which looks like a So Cal, with an original Floyd Rose installed. The original Floyd rose made a HUGE difference from the Floyd Rose special it came with.

This Charvel comes with an FRT 02000, which is a step up from the Floyd Rose special however from Google I am getting conflicting opinions on if it's as good as the German Schaller. I am so impressed with the German one on my Jackson that by default I was going to order one for the Charvel but I'm reading it's the exact same thing, same materials, (Unlike Floyd Special,) just made in another country.

How true is this?

Anymore information I might not know I'd be happy to hear. I can't wait to see how the Alder body on this compared to the basswood on the Jackson. They both have compound radius necks that are 12-16 but I wonder if they feel similar. I know the Jackson one feels amazing.

This will also be my first recessed tremolo since I was a kid and back then I didn't know what I was doing. I really hope it can hold tune like the Original Floyd because nothing I can do can take the original Floyd out of tune, I can go as wild as I want on it and it stays.

Last question; does anyone know a household item that would work to block the recessed Floyd while changing to a heavier string gauge? With the non recessed I just put post it notes underneath the bridge and adjust the springs until it's right. Obviously I can't put anything underneath the bridge of the new guitar, I'd like to avoid cutting out a piece of wood if possible.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of the newer Charvel So Cal's as I hear the quality is amazing compared to when they first went to Mexico. I also wonder how effective the coil tapping is for clean tones and if I'll get any strat like sounds out of doing that.

I've heard complaints of rough turning fine tuners on the FRT more than once.
    Unless my memory is letting me down again, I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here showing pics of the German OFR and Korean FRT and there were numerous visual differences on certain parts, despite of the overall size being the same as the German.

I don't use tremolos, but I'd give the FRT a chance. Some people certainly do have no complaints at all.

They are touted as having the same 'materials' as the OFR.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Original Floyd Rose

The underside of the OFR baseplate is stamped "Made in Germany".

These German OFRs are made by Schaller.

1000 Series Floyd Rose, aka FRT, aka "Korean OFR"

The underside of the FRT baseplate is unstamped.

That's the only visual difference between an OFR and an FRT.

These "Korean OFRs" are, from a metal composition and dimensions standpoint, completely identical to a German OFR.

It has been guessed that these trems are made by Ping and no one has provided evidence to the contrary.

Floyd Rose Special

Identical to the OFR/FRT in dimensions and materials, except the saddles are made of zinc alloy (instead of steel) and the sustain block is made of zinc alloy (instead of brass). Unsure of what country/company produces the Floyd Rose Special.

Some people can tell the difference between an OFR and an FRT. I cannot. I also had no problems with the one Floyd Rose Special that I've played.

Comment

I could've sworn there was a thread where someone took one apart and pointed out noticeable differences, but it doesn't surprise me I'm mistaken.
        We laughed as kids when adults warned of brain damage from drugs and alcohol, but it ain't funny now.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

There might have been, and I could be mistaken. My info is parroted straight from the Floyd Rose website back when they still had the FRT available and there was an FAQ question that addressed the difference between the OFR and the FRT. The dead giveaway was the German baseplate was stamped with the country of origin while the Korean baseplate was black. Because I speak out of my ass a lot, I have zero empirical evidence of my own, despite owning an OFR-equipped guitar and two FRT-equipped guitars but I've never examined their trems closely.

Comment

There are visual differences between OFR and FRT:

-FRT´s Saddle shell rear corners are beveled

-Fine tuner shelf (rear of the base plate) is angled downwards

Only real problem with FRT´s are those wonky trem arm couplings,though. And it is easy and cheap part to replace.
            My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Well, the guitar shipped today, do any of you guys have experience with Sweetwater set ups? I had no idea they did set ups now. I knew they did the 55 point inspection but I was able to get it set up to the specs I sent in with string gauge at a half step down for 44 dollars. Intonation and everything. Even if it's not completely correct at least it'll come in the ballpark. I had no idea they did that. This will be the first time I've ever bought a guitar and not had to spend 4 hours with it tweaking. They said they would set it up to my exact specs so it should be completely correct when it comes in. They put the 10-52's on it and even gave them to me for free.

I'm hoping their luthiers that do this set up are good with Floyd Roses and that might help.

If it doesn't stay perfectly in tune under hard stress I'll replace it with the German one because I already know the German one will. It's extremely impressive for someone like me who never had one until earlier this year.

I'm still amazed by how much difference the German Floyd made compared to the Floyd Rose special. I can't believe they sell that Floyd Rose special with the Floyd name on it. I've had two of them, both gave me no hope I'd ever have a tremolo system that would stay in tune as advertised until I decided to go ahead and buy the real thing. Best 200 bucks I've spent.

But I'm hoping this Korean Floyd is good so I don't have to spend another 200. I'm just super excited I don't have to get the guitar out of the box and take the 9's off and put on strings and all of that. Huge plus for sweet water. Even if they didn't get the set up completely correct just the fact that they put those strings on for me and set it up to what is supposed to be my measurements is a relief. I wasn't looking forward to spending all night after night Friday night doing that!

Comment

Working...
              X