Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Strap button mod?

Hi,

Im seriously considering buying a Kell. Anyway, i notice that the strap button goes under the neck (similar to my Gibson Explorer). The problem is that blocks upper fret access cos i have a thick strap. Is this the case for the kelly?

If so, would moving the strap button to where the ESPs Explorer buttons are (above the neck on bass horn) affect the balance?

Re: Kelly Strap button mod?

USA Kelly or bolt-on import?

If it's a USA (neckthrough) the guitar will most liekly nosedive unless you put the strap on the headstock [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    If you're using a wide strap, I'm assuming it's leather or otherwise has a suede back? That should keep it from diving, but it will tug on your shoulder like an Explorer.
    I'd recommend putting it on the heel of the neck as far forward as you can go before getting into the curve of the back of the neck (unless it has a scalloped heel, in which case you can't do it that way).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc is right and he's the one that set me straight when I modded mine. It was a JK-20 that I didn't mind drilling into though. I still might have the pics I posted a while back as well.

Comment

any pictures you could dig up would be appreciated.

I was looking at a USA one hopefully. It wouldnt be for a while though. Im considering saving for a custom as i have a thing for maple boards and specific neck thicknesses!

Anywho, I use leather straps (just always have), maybe i should consider getting ones that arent so obstructive at blocking upper fret access. On my explorer its pretty hopeless going quickly up the neck!

Comment

Do you use the leather ones with the thin end and one wide end? put the skinny end on the front [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Basically the strap mod I did on my KV3 (and all my bolt-on V/Explorer shapes) is to put the pin directly between the front two neck bolts on the outside edge of the neck pocket so that the head of the screw is facing the headstock, and the tip of the screw is pointing at the rear strap pin (just like you would find on a Strat where the strap pin screws point at each other - |== front ==| rear).

This improves the balance greatly, but then I use DiMarzio ClipLocks because of the narrow ends (and the idiot-proof lock).
          Also, for Kelly/Explorer/Star shapes, I also put the rear strap pin all the way at the top of the rear edge of the body - close enough to the top that the tip of the screw will almost poke through the front edge, but not on the very tip-top edge which would make the strap pin pointing upwards. This makes the guitar move backwards putting the bridge in front of your belly button instead of under your left ribs (for a righty).

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X