Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pup problems

Hey guys,
    So I bought a Dimarzio Tone Zone for my ESP, and it sounded absolutely awesome in that guitar. I just purchased a Jackson js32 Dinky with two stock humbuckers made for Jackson by belcat. They were terrible Superflat didn't have any gain at all. So I figured until I can afford to buy another Bridge pickup, I would put that DiMarzio in the Jackson since it sounds so good in the ESP. Well after installing it it doesn't sound much better then the stock Jackson. There is an obvious difference but it's nothing like it sounded like in the ESP.
    I wired it parallel just like the other one was I know if I wire it and series I lose a little bit of the punch and take a little bit of the hum away. Everything is soldered correctly I have double and triple checked. I even went as far as unsoldering it after I plugged it in and took all the old solder off and resoldered it a second time..... but it's still the same thing and it's weird because it's much brighter and the center position on my toggle switch. I'm not saying it has more punch or gain it's just more bright. My selector switch only offers three positions neck Center and Bridge. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts why it sounded so great in the ESP but not in the Jackson I'd like to hear your thoughts. I don't know what kind of pot that I have in there for the volume but it is grounded directly to the volume pot. It's whatever came stock with the js32 do you guys know if that's a 250k or a 500K pot? I doubt it's a 500 right?

Dimarzio and Jackson don't have the same wiring codes, see this link for the difference:
    http://cdo.seymourduncan.com/blog/wp...s-809x1024.jpg

The Dimarzio has black and white soldered together and taped off, red to hot, green/bare to ground

Comment

I'd keep it in series like a typical humbucker where it will have higher output and fuller tone.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks mountain....I'll check the link out. Appreciate that.

Comment

Hey man...I know I told you I'd check out your link...but after re-reading your post, I looked (I left the access plate off) and the way you explained to wire it, is exactly how I wired it. Black and white are wound together and taped off ,green and bare are soldered to the volume pot, and the red hot lead is soldered to the bridge position on my switch.......maybe because my ESP is such a light wood (basswood with a quilt maple top) and the natural tone produces a lot of treble.......the pickup sounded rude as dude in it? IDK......OMG...WAIT....I just realized....in the ESP I had the DiMarzio running to the bridge switch grounded to the volume pot and that was it. But when I put it into the Jackson, I just wired it the same way the existing pickup was wired. And both humbuckers fire wired together and both ground to the same volume pot whereas in the ESP they are not wired together. I answered my own question LOL
          Last edited by Billdee33; 08-27-2017, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Apparently I DID wire it in series.....but it doesn't have the crunch the ESP did. I think it's a difference in the woods. The Jackson is mahogany and is much darker in tone but without the monster crunch.....I think it's going back in the ESP and I'm going with a hotter passive next time. My thoughts are dimarzio super distortion, SD invader or maybe a dimebucker...can't afford to drop 150 or more on a bare knuckle bridge pup....

Comment

The TZ is actually a warmer/darker sounding pickup. If you don't care for that, I'd stay away from the Invader since that's got more low mids and bass. Though, 500k or even 1meg pots will make it brighter than 250k.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Must be the electronics causing the change.
                What's left? The wood?
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Are you sure you didn't wire it out of phase?
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                  X