it sucks to say this, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AgentX View Post
    Good to hear. However, I'm sure your scene is loaded with indie, hipster bullshit instead. I'd rather have my fingernails ripped out than listen to (or look at) hipsters and their music.
    I'd agree with you except there isn't much worse than country or rap. Also, metal is still a thing over here, it's underground, but it's still here. I feel sorry for you for all the indie rock estrogen music you must have to deal with in twangville.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      I'd agree with you except there isn't much worse than country or rap. Also, metal is still a thing over here, it's underground, but it's still here. I feel sorry for you for all the indie rock estrogen music you must have to deal with in twangville.
      The struggle is definitely real. Though I don't know what is more insufferable, the douche bags who play the estrogen rock or bro country, or the multitudes of breathtakingly stupid people who listen to it and like it.

Comment

• Hey, I'm one who's checked in on a regular basis for ever around here, but haven't posted much in years. I do recall checking this forum (and only this forum) back in '99 via phone while on vacation. That's going back. I doubt my post total on the new software is up to what I had posted on the original software.

This place doesn't seem as dead as a lot of forums I used to look at but it's definitely not as active as it used to be. I think that's happening all over due to the move to facebook, etc. It's also true that C/J is very much centered on a very specific set of dates. All of us that grew up dreaming of these guitars were at just the right age to be able to afford to go back and pick them up when this place started. At the time, they were completely out of favor with the general guitar playing public and very much a niche interest. This gave us a place to discuss and learn about those instruments. Somewhat, it's all been said and the records around here still turn up a lot of good info. (My favorite is when I do the Google search for something and find the answer posted here.....and then notice that it was my post from 15 years ago! )

The other thing though is we're all older. Other things have distracted us. At the time I got involved heavily around here I was playing in heavily gigging bands, writing original material, and recording. Since, I've had kids and gotten them close to out of the house and been heavily distracted by all that entails. Unfortunately, I haven't successfully gotten either of mine to be musicians or metalheads.

On the recent tangent: I completely disagree with metal being dead. Again, between the start of this place and now, we have seen the resurgence of the big 80's acts to go on the road and even record albums. We've seen a resurgence in the classic thrash bands. I've also found a lot of great newer metal out there via youtube and following around links. I love how easy it is to search for new music now and find fun things.......sometimes, I find things that are new to me that I never found when I was younger too. It's great. Youtube beats the hell out of shipping 14th generation mixed tapes across the country!

Comment

• Originally posted by AgentX View Post
          Your soul is filled with way more optimism than mine. I don't buy that there are more metal bands today than in the 80s either. I don't like modern metal, so none of the newer metal bands interest me. What I call "metal" is more just hard rock.

It's also a bafflingly stupid argument when people say "hey look, Gnr is filling stadiums, therefore rock isn't dead." Dude, it has nothing to do with the genre being dead or alive. It's because they're a household name with tons of hits. The audiences for them veer waaaaay more in the direction of older people too. These bands are still selling well because they have a legacy, and not because their genre is popular. When they die, the genre will die with them.
          I dig metal in all forms and it is definitely still alive and kicking. Like... everywhere in the world. iTunes is awash with metal of all kinds from the last decade to now. Bands like H.E.A.T., 220 Volt, Serious Black, Jaded Heart, Eclipse. Too many to name.

Believe me, I was pleasantly surprised. I like a lot of modern metal, but for ME that means things like Darkane, Soilwork, etc. I am guessing these would be bands you're not into. It is DEFINITELY fair to say that Europe has a much better "front facing" metal scene but it's definitely not dead here. It certainly isn;t making anyone any money but bands are still putting it out. Hell, I KNOW there are definitely more thrash bands out now thane seemingly ever before.
          Last edited by JerEvil; 11-13-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• My favorite metal is definitely thrash and speed metal, but I also like hard rock and classic metal as well. What is popular that I can`t stand is Djent garbage!! I also can`t listen to most death metal. And no I don`t consider Death the band death metal

Comment

• Perhaps the problem might be partly be caused by people like me being unable to register.

I tried on and off for 3 months to register, and finally got lucky on third try the other day.
              I was a "guest" for months, with no posting privileges. I emailed the staff a few times, with no response.
              There's either something wrong, or it's pretty slack by who ever's running it

Are the moderators visible on the forum?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boogers View Post
                Perhaps the problem might be partly be caused by people like me being unable to register.

I tried on and off for 3 months to register, and finally got lucky on third try the other day.
                I was a "guest" for months, with no posting privileges. I emailed the staff a few times, with no response.

They post every once in a while. Admin doesn't care, mod crew are mostly just good ol boys there for the private shit talking in the mod group I assume.

Comment

• Well I learned a LOT here in short order researching the DK2 I picked up recently.
                  Thanks all!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boogers View Post
                    Perhaps the problem might be partly be caused by people like me being unable to register.

I know I can second this. I had major issues with signing in so much so that I just lurked since 2005. I couldn't sign-in to post. It was no fun. I finally tried again and it just worked the other day so I am here now.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonikk71 View Post
                      I know I can second this. I had major issues with signing in so much so that I just lurked since 2005. I couldn't sign-in to post. It was no fun. I finally tried again and it just worked the other day so I am here now.
                      13 years later. Welcome to JCF!

Comment

• If you think JCF is bad, try getting on Jackson Guitar Palace. Why the hell is that place so locked up?
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

• Damn... I visit and post from time to time. Not as much as in the past. Would hate for this to go away as it is a great collection of knowledge.
                          It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

• Just a stupid question; If this forum dies, is there a chance it would be archived somewhere? So you could still search the old threads?
                            There is a lot of knowledge that will be lost if its gone, that kind of sucks for the newbies like me who's just getting into Jackson/Charvel guitars.

And i am not joining the ultimate guitar forum, i'd rather slowly rip my eyelids off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                              If you think JCF is bad, try getting on Jackson Guitar Palace. Why the hell is that place so locked up?
                              I also tried a few times to get on one of the Charvel Facebook groups, but with no success.
                              After a few tries, I couldn't even see the content

Comment

• We are still missing some people like Bill and Ron.

Does anyone remember when there was an "identify this" of "what is this" thread but it wasn't for guitar info? I think it was Fett but shit cant remember but he would post a closeup pic of something random like a soda lid and whomever guessed it would win some random shit like a used pickup? lol
                                Last edited by z1n; 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X