it sucks to say this, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AgentX View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the type of music Charvel/Jackson players tend to listen to (traditional hard rock/metal) is dead. It's probably because the types who would seek out Charvel guitars are a dying breed and dwindling in number. People like DJs and rap these days, not guitarists. Guitars are for your slobby old fart, bald-headed, beer-bellied uncle. Just conjecturing here.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the type of music Charvel/Jackson players tend to listen to (traditional hard rock/metal) is dead. It's probably because the types who would seek out Charvel guitars are a dying breed and dwindling in number. People like DJs and rap these days, not guitarists. Guitars are for your slobby old fart, bald-headed, beer-bellied uncle. Just conjecturing here.
      Metal is alive and well. I'm seeing Wintersun tomorrow night. Now there's a fucking band.
      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
        Metal is alive and well. I'm seeing Wintersun tomorrow night. Now there's a fucking band.
        I work in Nashville. Believe me my dude, metal is dead and gone. And it's never EVER coming back. The kids have no idea what it is. If they heard it, they wouldn't like it. And it's not even cool on the underground anymore. It will never be popular again. It is completely, utterly, and decisively dead.
        Last edited by AgentX; 11-08-2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• Was it ever popular in nashville?

Comment

I work in Nashville. Believe me my dude, metal is dead and gone. And it's never EVER coming back. The kids have no idea what it is. If they heard it, they wouldn't like it. And it's not even cool on the underground anymore. It will never be popular again. It is completely, utterly, and decisively dead.
            I'm going to have to disagree with that. It's a lot easier to get into heavy metal now than it was for you old schoolers. Finding out about bands takes seconds even if it has to do with some 1 man black metal band in some cave in norway. It's also a lot easier to get in touch with the actual musicians which can lead to inspiration and desires to seek more bands whether local or international. I'm sure any of the younger guys like me who are on here can say the same. What I will say though is that some places are probably more dried up when it comes to heavy metal or any other form of music than other places.
            Jacksons haven't failed me so far

Comment

Living in California I can tell you Country music is dead and non-existant.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                Was it ever popular in nashville?
                Good point. This is a debate I would be thrilled to lose!

Comment

• Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Living in California I can tell you Country music is dead and non-existant.
                  Good to hear. However, I'm sure your scene is loaded with indie, hipster bullshit instead. I'd rather have my fingernails ripped out than listen to (or look at) hipsters and their music.

Comment

• Disco is dead, metal isn't.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                      Disco is dead, metal isn't.
                      Fuck! nobody told me....

Comment

• Spend 15 minutes looking around and you’ll realize metal is as vibrant as it’s been in decades. Other than the usual pop stars, most tours period are just oldies show (Springsteen, Stones). There are some metal old schoolers out there (Maiden, AC DC, Priest) who have had massive tours on new material.

I bet there are more kids in metal bands today than there were in 1986. And here’s a weird factoid, make of it what you will http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ales-week-ever

Now. Metal gets no love and even gets looked down upon in the mainstream press. Thus it has always been. But part of what has changed (and fuck off on the politics if this irritates- it’s an observation. I’m not advocating for metal as some sort of cultural weapon) is that European males are not exactly the most culturally cool people going right now. In fact, in some corners they’re the enemy. And if there is a music of white boys, well, metal’s it.

And yet. The stadiums sell, the albums move, and guitar center is still open. Go figure.

Comment

• My sons are 24 and 26. I taught them to play and they both are in metal bands (My oldest is a total Jackson fan, my youngest is into MusicMan). There is a big scene here in Tampa/Brandon, Fl. A lot of bands and a lot of kids hanging around the scene.

Comment

• I can tell you there is a LOT of metal shows in Oakland, and I was at a metal show at the DNA club in SF a couple months ago. And prior to the place closing in San Jose, there was a lot of metal bands playing there (I know Lita Ford played there a couple weeks after my friends band played the autism awareness show, yes a metal show for autism) there's a lot of metal in california going strong
                            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

• Originally posted by Vass View Post
                              Spend 15 minutes looking around and you’ll realize metal is as vibrant as it’s been in decades. Other than the usual pop stars, most tours period are just oldies show (Springsteen, Stones). There are some metal old schoolers out there (Maiden, AC DC, Priest) who have had massive tours on new material.

I bet there are more kids in metal bands today than there were in 1986. And here’s a weird factoid, make of it what you will http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ales-week-ever

Now. Metal gets no love and even gets looked down upon in the mainstream press. Thus it has always been. But part of what has changed (and fuck off on the politics if this irritates- it’s an observation. I’m not advocating for metal as some sort of cultural weapon) is that European males are not exactly the most culturally cool people going right now. In fact, in some corners they’re the enemy. And if there is a music of white boys, well, metal’s it.

And yet. The stadiums sell, the albums move, and guitar center is still open. Go figure.
                              Your soul is filled with way more optimism than mine. I don't buy that there are more metal bands today than in the 80s either. I don't like modern metal, so none of the newer metal bands interest me. What I call "metal" is more just hard rock.

It's also a bafflingly stupid argument when people say "hey look, Gnr is filling stadiums, therefore rock isn't dead." Dude, it has nothing to do with the genre being dead or alive. It's because they're a household name with tons of hits. The audiences for them veer waaaaay more in the direction of older people too. These bands are still selling well because they have a legacy, and not because their genre is popular. When they die, the genre will die with them.

Comment

• Also, guitar center focuses way less on carrying metal guitars now. Most of the time I'm hearing country, blues, and folky stuff being played in there now. It's rare to hear rock.

Comment

Working...
                                X