Noob Alert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noob Alert!

That's an interesting list of specs. How about making it a flamed top hollowbody SL1 with F holes and a EMG 85 in trans black? Now that would be cool!

Matt
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
      The neck position tonality lends itself well to Jazz. Most custom jazz guitars are constructed this way..
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly! And for the record, the 81 does sound killer in the neck, though, as my Hamer has two chrome 81s in it (then again, I tend to like my neck pups a little brighter anyway). The 85 is darker for the neck, and maybe some people don't want that dark in the neck position. I actually prefer the 85 in the bridge instead of the neck.
      ****Also, EMG does make a floating Jazz pickup for those archtop hollow bodies... it's called the 91.

[ October 22, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There are people who use EMG's for other things than metal. Wasn't there someone on this board who said he knew a grunge guy who used them? Hmm, it might have been on the ultimatemetal boards...

The guy I bought the EMG-58 from (a guitar tech/teacher) used to use 85s in his guitars, and he played just about all styles except metal. He actually switched them out when he started playing more rock'n'roll, because he thought they sounded "too nice".

So I don't find the choice of an 81 for the neck position odd at all. EMGs are just very versatile pickups. =)

'bane

[ October 23, 2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

well I'm down to one guitar at the moment, an SL-1 with an EMG-81 in the bridge.. I play a lot of jazz, and I gotta say the 81 really sucks a$$ for those type of tones [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but in neck position it might sound alright.. its just too bright and doesn't have enough fullness. Its still my pickup of choice because I play mainly metal and rock, but I have to be honest and say I definetely wouldn't recommend it for jazz. Like I said tho, could sound alright in neck position..

Comment

Whoops....I'm a complete moron....I didnt' see "neck" only...I mistakenly thought bridge only.

I've never had an 81 in the neck....I think it would be EQ'd perfect for jazz just the output would be way too high IMO to not get any breakup of some sort.

And on the topic of EMGs for other things than metal....I have a Les Paul with an 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck....81 does many things with distortion well and the 60 does cleans really too. Guitar is quiet as hell.

I would probably use EMGs exclusively for their quiet factor if they had more choices of pickpups like Duncan or Dimarzio....the 81 and 85 in the bridge is kinda limiting in choice. Different EQ structures would be nice.

Comment

Working...
            X