Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Italy

Hi to everybody
    I'm Luca from Italy, Jackson diehard fan from the first nineties.
    What else....grown with hard rock and classic metal mainly, but also thrash and a bit of extreme things too

Glad to be aboard.

Here's my little family

L to R:

1995 MIJ Kelly Pro, black
    2002 SL2H, black
    1996 SL2S, black
    2007 SL2H Mahogany, (i wouldn't go wrong but I think it's Amber Lager Burst)
    1990 MIJ Warrior Pro, Midnight Metallic Blue (probably one of the very first that came out from the Japan factory)

Welcome to the forum. Nice collection!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's a great collection! I've never heard of the SL2S before. Can you tell us more about this beauty, including the things that make it unique? It appears to have no binding (or possibly black) and a tremolo that is not an Original Floyd Rose?

Comment

Welcome! Really digging that warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          I've never heard of the SL2S before. Can you tell us more about this beauty, including the things that make it unique? It appears to have no binding (or possibly black) and a tremolo that is not an Original Floyd Rose?

The SL2/SL2S was one of the first Soloist in production with 2 hum instead of classical HSS configuration of the SL1 known until that time, and it was in production for one (or maximum) two years in the mid ‘90.
          You can see her in the 1997 catalog.
          Few other attempts to have the HH configuration on a Soloist before, the archtop with fixed bridge for example.
          Same specs of the SL2H that came later and we all know as she is nowadays (dimensions, neck profile and thickness, ebony fingerboard), but with some features that made the SL2/SL2S a sort of “low budget USA made” than other models in production.
          In particular:
          -no binding
          -Kent Armstrong pickups
          -Takeuchi Lo-Pro bridge
          -a simple white logo on the headstock instead of the m.o.p.
          -poplar wings

In that years I remember some other models coming out with that philosophy, like the Dinky DR2 (reverse headstock, 22 frets and no inlays on the fingerboard) and the bolt-on Rhoads RR2

The hardshell case was already the one they gave later with the SL2H.
          The black painting was perfectly applied and thru the years still no signs of worn or less quality.
          In the italian catalog was available in three colours: black, metallic red, yellow.
          I remewmber exactly when after a trying of the SL1 in a shop I ordered her simply by looking at the new 1997 catalog just out in those days (!!), because I wanted the HH configuration. It was at the end of 96, and the guitar arrived in the new year.
          The SL2 was the version with no binding and sharkfins, the SL2S was the version with inlays but still no binding. The pickup frames are the same they give now in the chrome hardware on trans finishes.

Chrome hardware, black colour with no neck binding give her a very smart look, in my opinion.

In my case, she is absolutely my favourite of the all five Jacks I have,and the one I played more thru the years.
          First of all, the bridge. I prefer low profiles than the O.F.R.
          She also gives me a bit of better feeling in bendings, palm muting and with the bar, I assume it could be due to the springs and the fact that she has been played much much more than the two other Soloist.
          Anyway, I’m talking of tiny differences.
          Armstrong p.u. changed for a couple of Duncans (TB4 & SH2N) few years after her buying, and a complete rewiring (tone pot disconnected) gave her a bit of increase in brilliance than the two other Soloist.
          Maybe I used magical cables (??), maybe it’s the proof that most of the times every guitar is absolutely unique and a world apart from others (even if you have two of the same model), maybe the poplar wings compared to alder of the SL2H….or maybe that a guitar played thru years and always kept in perfect shape could even improve her resonance.

Anyway, none of my Jacksons are completely “never-touched/still-in-factory-specs”...they’re all rewired, a couple of them have only a tone pot disconnected, two had a change of p.u, the Warrior has even a complete new configuration of the electronics.
          Last edited by Luca1973; 11-04-2017, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Excellent mix of high end imports and USA's.

How does the SL2S JT580LP tremolo compare to the real Floyds? Any issues? I've always been confused by their choice to use the 580 on a USA model.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Welcome! Nice group of Jacksons you have there.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Great set of guitars, love the SL2HMAH.

Comment

Thank you to everybody!!

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  How does the SL2S JT580LP tremolo compare to the real Floyds? Any issues? I've always been confused by their choice to use the 580 on a USA model.
                  In my opinion, they’re both good bridges
                  BUT
                  I think that the OFR has a better quality alloy; plus, its baseplate is a little bit thicker than the Takeuchi.
                  These two things are important mainly for the screw thread of the saddles, but let’s say also that it’s a thing that you don’t have to touch often; so, if you pay attention, there should be no problems over the years.
                  (I’ve never had that problems, even if I have to admit that I own various spare parts of every bridge I have...the only things changed in my bridges in many years are some saddles and screws)

I absolutely do not remark any issue in keeping the tuning between the JT, Floyd Original or the Schaller in the Japanese ones. A good set of new springs always make difference.
                  The difference for a choice is if you prefer the OFR shape or the low profile under your hand (I like more the lo-pro), but if we compare the OFR with the Takeuchi TRS101, I’d choose the OFR.

The upper wing of the JT is larger than the Floyd, so, if you put the OFR in the cavity to replace a JT580, it would be a bit ugly to see, due to the larger space between the bridge and the body of the guitar. Vice versa, most likely a JT580 won't fit in a cavity drilled for a Floyd.
                  Last edited by Luca1973; 11-04-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Welcome Luca. Like the sunburst Soloist.

Comment

hahaha!!!...me too!!

At the moment, I think no more BLACK guitars for me
                      That 3 are enough

Comment

Luca, the amount of information you shared on your SL2S is very impressive. Thank you, I learned very much about this rather uncommon guitar!

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
                        The difference for a choice is if you prefer the OFR shape or the low profile under your hand (I like more the lo-pro), but if we compare the OFR with the Takeuchi TRS101, I’d choose the OFR.
                        The Takeuchi TRS101 does have a Jackson-branded equivalent. It's simply called the JT580 The JT580LP is the low profile version that is apparently in your SL2S.

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
                        The upper wing of the JT is larger than the Floyd, so, if you put the OFR in the cavity to replace a JT580, it would be a bit ugly to see, due to the larger space between the bridge and the body of the guitar. Vice versa, most likely a JT580 won't fit in a cavity drilled for a Floyd.
                        You are correct. This link (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp) shows a photo of an OFR in the JT580 cavity, which is compatible but leaves some space.

Comment

Purty.
                          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Welcome and great collection!

Comment

Thanx again guys

Browsing thru the posts, I often see pics of very beautiful guitars from other members.
                              Result: my GAS is growing

This forum is dangerous

Comment

Working...
                              X