Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do 80's charvel necks compared to MIM 2016/2017 necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do 80's charvel necks compared to MIM 2016/2017 necks?

I am very curious to know the type of neck profile the 80's necks had, I do know they were inconsistent back then of course, but I am wondering how thin they actually were compared to a modern Charvel?

Also, I have a parts guitar I put together. It's a MIM 2016 Charvel neck with a custom painted body, with a JB and OFR Bridge.

Which 80's necks are you referring too? The model series (Japanese) had D shaped necks similar to the San Dimas pointy head guitars, whereas the SD strathead guitars had more of a C shape (allowing for variations and customer preference of course). And the recent guitars more or less conform to that..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      Which 80's necks are you referring too? The model series (Japanese) had D shaped necks similar to the San Dimas pointy head guitars, whereas the SD strathead guitars had more of a C shape (allowing for variations and customer preference of course). And the recent guitars more or less conform to that..
      I think maybe the 86' 87' Charvel necks.

I was watching some Gary More videos and he was using a Charvel neck with a different body, It was a Strathead Charvel....during the Wild Frontier tour.

I always wondered what the neck on that guitar would be like compared to mine, It could be similar to mine...but who knows, I will never find out.

I've just head that the 80's necks were much thinner than the current ones, but if they were thinner it would basically be a Wizard neck.

Also people say modern Charvel necks feel like a Fender neck...that is not accurate.

Comment

My 82 Charvel star has a really flat and thin neck with C shape. Kinda like a wizard neck. Early necks varied from guitar to guitar obviously, being made in Custom Shop
        but the most common thing was the flat and wide neck shape. Mine is not far from early Ibanez Jem necks actually. Maybe a bit more flat.

20170920_163918 by Niko Raty, on Flickr

Comment

Not a "Star" body fan. But...........F*&k does that 82' look awesome. Probably with some great stories to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
            Not a "Star" body fan. But...........F*&k does that 82' look awesome. Probably with some great stories to tell.
            +1! That thing deserves a thread of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              +1! That thing deserves a thread of its own.
              Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
              Thanks! Bought it from ALZ and other than the floyd retrofit and a refret it's pretty stock. hardware is original. Maybe a changed bridge pickup. Neck pickup is original.
              I have no idea about it's past other than it was in Alz's collection. One interesting thing about is that there's a signature "CPS" written all over the guitar. Neck, pickup rings, control cavity etc. Original owner perhaps? I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossezhoffen View Post
                Thanks! Bought it from ALZ and other than the floyd retrofit and a refret it's pretty stock. hardware is original. Maybe a changed bridge pickup. Neck pickup is original.
                I have no idea about it's past other than it was in Alz's collection. One interesting thing about is that there's a signature "CPS" written all over the guitar. Neck, pickup rings, control cavity etc. Original owner perhaps? I have no idea.
                That star is just awesome, love the color.

After going to the music store today, none of them felt like my charvel. people were saying the new charvels have a fender-ish feel to them, this is incorrect. i tried an american professional and those necks are much more "round". the new charvels do have a flat and thin c shape, maybe they were even thinner back then. but still, none of the guitars had a modern charvel neck feel.

i could always get a luthier to make mine even thinner, to a wizard type of neck...i may do that someday because i love wizard necks.

at least modern charvels have its own neck style, it does NOT feel like a fender neck...

The other necks that are just killer...are the EVH necks, those are like a small C shape, rounder than a charvel neck.

Comment

Wow, great job on that. Psychedelic paint job is killer!
                  Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Mossezhoffen View Post
                    My 82 Charvel star has a really flat and thin neck with C shape. Kinda like a wizard neck. Early necks varied from guitar to guitar obviously, being made in Custom Shop
                    but the most common thing was the flat and wide neck shape. Mine is not far from early Ibanez Jem necks actually. Maybe a bit more flat.

20170920_163918 by Niko Raty, on Flickr
                    correct...the ones i used to own were the wide/flat profile and were so close to my 88 jem i could switch easily between the guitars without any difference...thats the neck that kind of disappeared although my 89 gc ltd usa dinky is very very similar...d.m.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                    X