No announcement yet.

Jackson Charvel Body Size Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, no. Soloist horns aren't just shorter, the cutouts are also shaped quite a bit different.

Soloist:

Not Soloist:

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

24 vs 22, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        24 vs 22, my friend.
        Not a Dinky.

Comment

The Dinky and Soloist share the same body shape. It's just the horns look different on 22-fret models compared to the ones with 24.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Did these a few years ago. I may not have the steadiest hand, but the tracings don't lie...

Soloist vs. Dinky

Strat vs. Dinky

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule in Jackson/Charvel land. But this is the real deal reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              And if Adrian's guitar were in the Charvel product lineup, it would likely be called a "So-Cal" (pickguard Strat body) instead of a "San Dimas" (non-pickguard Strat body).
              This right here!!!!! I totally agree with you. I want to correct everyone who calls it a San Dimas

Comment

And just to throw this wrench into the mix....

Which model of Dinky you buy can determine the size. And I am not talking about 22 or 24 fret, nor how "each guitar is unique".
                I am talking about the large DKMG which would not even fit in the case made for the tiny DR3.

Comment

I love the black one on the bottom, do you have a pic of the entire guitar? I'm hoping it has a reverse headstock This is a cool thread and those tracings were so interesting to look at as well.
                  Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Yeah, no. Soloist horns aren't just shorter, the cutouts are also shaped quite a bit different.

Soloist:

Not Soloist:

'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Strat vs. Dinky

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule in Jackson/Charvel land. But this is the real deal reality.
                    On both of my dinkys, if you notice, there is a flat vertical on the lower horn that Soloists don't have.

And your sample size of one each... is a sample size of one each.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                      I love the black one on the bottom, do you have a pic of the entire guitar? I'm hoping it has a reverse headstock This is a cool thread and those tracings were so interesting to look at as well.
                      Thanks! Here ya go.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        And just to throw this wrench into the mix....

Which model of Dinky you buy can determine the size. And I am not talking about 22 or 24 fret, nor how "each guitar is unique".
                        I am talking about the large DKMG which would not even fit in the case made for the tiny DR3.
                        DKMG is an archtop, though.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Seems odd a DR3 would be different. My DKMGT and SL2HT fit in the same case identically.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            DKMG is an archtop, though.
                            That would explain why I couldn't close the lid. But doesn't explain why I had to force the body into the case.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              And your sample size of one each... is a sample size of one each.
                              No, it's not. And they're all consistent with the tracings.

Comment

No, it's not. And they're all consistent with the tracings.
                                Hey man I did a quick tracing of your traces and converted them to a two-color image. The Strat shape in blue completely encompasses the Dinky shape in red. That allowed me to run a histogram analysis and count pixels:

Red (Dinky): 483,752
                                Blue: 44,549
                                Total (Strat): 528,301

The pixel count can be used to accurately calculate relative volumes. Doing the math, the Dinky shape is approximately 92% of the Strat shape. Finally, I used an inch fraction calculator to determine the closest imperial unit fraction. The answer is 59/64. It turns out the Dinky is a bit bigger than 7/8.

_________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X