No Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Case?

I have bought a couple SoCals in the last couple years. You would think a $900 guitar would come with a case. I have a Demartini also that came without a hard case. Does this bother anyone else?

The original 2008-2010 American run of Production Models (San Dimas and So-Cal models) did not come with cases either. They came with gigbags. These guitars + gigbags were USD$999 at the beginning, USD$1099 towards the end.

Only the 2010-2011 Japanese run of Pro-Mods came with SKB hardshell cases (SKB 90915000 (Charvel-branded)).

My 2009 American So-Cal didn't, while my 2011 Japanese So-Cal (which is essentially identical in specifications and build quality) did.

I don't believe the 2012-onwards Mexican Pro-Mods came with cases.

Comment

It bothers me, But I have soooooooooo many guitar cases where would I put them! I have like 60 guitar cases and hang all my guitars (almost 100) on the wall or ceilings. I have to store the guitar cases in the garage. The gig bags are way easier to store (they fold up) and I use cases I already have when I go out and play (which lately I haven't done anyways).
      Last edited by paranoid; 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I'd rather get $900 worth of guitar for my $900, rather than an $800 guitar with an overpriced "free" case. For an expensive guitar, I'd absolutely agree
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I actually traded a white SoCal even for the Demartini and kept the SKB case so I do have one. But my OCD likes every guitar to have it's own case. And I only have 7 guitars. lol All valid posts.

Comment

I'm OCD like you, especially since I store my guitars in their cases. I might be more OCD in that I'm always trying to look out on the used market for inexpensive, brand-matching cases, and/or better-fitting ones than the spare/empty generic cases I keep around to temporarily house GAS purchases that don't come with cases.

Comment

Haha, I bought a generic case a couple years ago for cheap in anticipation of a Kelly purchase. Craigslist find. Fits v's, RR's, Kelly's, etc... And I just bought the Jackson case from GC tonight.

Comment

That gigbag that came with the USA is strange. The bag itself is fine, but each of the zipper pulls fractured and fell apart in my hands within a few months. Crappy pot metal. Really just came apart like a cracker would.

Comment

Not having a solid case for a guitar makes me a bit worried. I recently snagged a jackson gigbag so I could carry my guitar backpack style, but I am so scared about chipping the points on my kelly. If you just have a square opening generic case it is pretty easy to trace your guitar onto some foam and fit it into the hole to have a custom form fitted case! I covered the foam with fabric and it has been great.
                  2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
                  Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
                  Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
                  Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

If it is something like a SoCal, there is no need for a case.
                    It is a standard Strat body. Standard Strat headstock.
                    We can buy a case to suit our needs.

Something like my V ... I had tried 3 different cases that didn't fit. And I was just about to buy an "official" case when I got lucky and found one for sale at a pawn shop at a fraction of the price.
                    Or any Jackson, where the backwards tilt of the headstock doesn't allow a guitar to sit properly in a "generic" case the way it would a Fender or Ibanez with a flat headstock... they should have cases.

Comment

I think the only thing that bothers me when buying a Jackson guitar is the shop doesn't keep any Jackson cases in stock. You have to place an order, and asking for an approx ETA is met with a sarcastic "how long is a piece of string" and my response being "Fine, I'll buy from somewhere else then".
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I bought my Charvel Model 6 in Denmark Street, London in 86. They told me it didn't come with a case, and so I wound up paying extra for the cheapest hard case they sold. It wasn't until I joined this site many years later I discovered it should have come with a case after all. (Guitar cost around 800 pounds at the time, if I remember rightly.)
                        My other signature says something funny

Comment

Originally posted by outlawten5 View Post
                          I have bought a couple SoCals in the last couple years. You would think a $900 guitar would come with a case. I have a Demartini also that came without a hard case. Does this bother anyone else?
                          It does come with a case.......when it's a $1050 guitar.
                          '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                          '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                          '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                          '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                          '90 Charvel 475 XL
                          '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                          Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                          Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                          Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
                          X