Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for new JT-580LP trem kit or equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for new JT-580LP trem kit or equivalent?

Hey all,

I am in the process of swapping all the chrome hardware on my Jackson Warrior to black. I believe the tremolo is a JT-580LP. Any ideas if and where I might be able to find a new one if these in black please? I've turned up nothing online aside from a couple of used ones. Looked into a couple of other options from Floyd rose and Schaller but doesn't seem that they will fit into the body routing quite as well. The Jackson trem is fine for my needs, I barely use it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The JT580LP is Jackson's internal model designation for what is essentially a ubiquitous product, which is part of the Takeuchi TRS family of tremolos.

Takeuchi tremolos are ubiquitous in the sense that they are commonly fitted to mid-priced guitars as OEM equipment. They are sometimes given internal designations, such as when Jackson/Charvel calls them the JT580 and JT580LP, Ibanez calls them the Lo-TRS, ESP/LTD might call them something else (I'm not sure), and B.C. Rich NJ Series might have an entirely different name altogether (I'm not sure either).

However, while they may be "ubiquitous", I would not say that they are necessarily straightforward to obtain at retail, and I'm not sure they are actually available to buy outright. Contrast this to Schaller tremolos (link) or Floyd Rose tremolos (link) which are simple to buy.

Used is likely the way to go for a Takeuchi tremolo. Now that we know that multiple guitar brands equip the Takeuchi tremolo to their guitars, you might be able to, for example, find a used but mint condition Ibanez Lo-TRS (if they even exist in black) that will directly fit in the cavity of your Jackson Warrior (presuming it's a WRXT; those came with chrome JT580LPs), if you don't mind the tremolo having the "Ibanez" brand name embossed on it. The point is that you don't necessarily need to restrict your search to just "JT580LP" tremolos if you're having trouble finding a JT580LP.

As for brand new at retail, an Original Floyd Rose is a 100% direct replacement, no routing required. See below. Original source of info: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp

JT-580LP
    Replacing with a Floyd Rose Original (or similar)
    Several users have done this swap with success. The JT-580LP route seems a little larger than the JT-580 route, so there's more room for the long locking bolts of the OFR. Here's a picture posted by JCF member rjohnstone, showing a swap he did on a Jackson PC3 (in standard 440Hz tuning). Plenty of room there. Read more on intonation here.

Studs and stud inserts are typically a direct swap here too if you need that. Sometimes the new stud inserts are a wee bit too large to fit the holes in the guitar. Don't use excessive force like using a hammer to pound them in! You are running a high risk of cracking the wood around the posts. Drill to the correct size holes instead and press them in, in a controlled manner.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 07-06-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for the insight. You're absolutely right - it's a WRXT with the chrome tremolo. Definitely gives me some more options to explore.

One thing I have noticed is that the post spacing on my WRXT is 73.2mm (my measurement). When I'm looking at FR and Schaller diagrams, they seem to show 74mm+

Is this 73.2mm a very obscure or rare size please, or could it just be manufacturing tolerances on a not-very-expensive guitar?

Thanks again ever so much for the info and advice!

Comment

I think if you look at the picture above where an OFR was used in place of the JT580LP, you can see that it fits. The .4mm on either side is a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          I think if you look at the picture above where an OFR was used in place of the JT580LP, you can see that it fits. The .4mm on either side is a non-issue.
          Or he can get a FU-Tone or Gotoh Floyd which have one side of the base plate with a straight knife edge. This allows for a little play in the alignment of the posts with the center of the knife edge. More so than with the curved knife edges of Floyds and Schallers. The only issue could potentially be string alignment over pickup pole pieces.

Comment

GOTOH's are nice, though the lock screws are long and may hit the back of the route.
            OFR/ FRT-1000/ special will fit, though its been my experience that its a little tight at the right front.
            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              That was my old PC3.
              The post spacing was spot on. No issues with binding at all.
              It originally had a Takeuchi JT-580LP. I left the original post bushings in there. I found a set of black JT-580LP studs that fit the stock bushing.
              -Rick

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice all, checking into all the options.

It looks like the nut is aslo discontinued - I believe it's 43mm, r4 size. However it seems a bit taller than most aftermarket ones I've found. I'd prefer not to use shims if at all possible. So far I've looked into ofr and Schaller nuts plus a couple of others. It screws in from the top on this guitar.

Thank you all again for the help and advice.

Comment

Should be a R3.. right?
                  OFR nut is taller, when i replaced mine I took some meat(wood) off the shelf. I thought about grinding on the nut, but then, its hard metal
                  and I'd never be installing a non OFR sized nut. I used a file and patience
                  Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

The stock nut size is 42mm (R3).
                    The JT-580LP nut is not as tall as OFR nut, so some wood removal will be required.
                    -Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X